Bcware,Tomb, you there?

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of you gentleman helped me on a past post about my left piston not working, one of you guys suggested I return my idle mixture to 2.5 turns out, I did, it was way off, both where, I noticed that also stopped the popping just off idle, now I noticed today that only one side is backfiring again just of idle like when accelerating up to around 4k it pops a bit on one side, my question is should I further adjust the offending carb? The only variable that has changed is the outside temp I'm riding in, it's starting to warm up in WI, can the out door temp affect my carb adjustment? The engine ran perfect up until it warmed up outside. I would assume it's possible that each carb has its own unique adjustment to run properly, they are both adjusted to 2,5 turns out still I rechecked that.

The ambient temperature can affect your carburetor tune, yes.

As the temperature warms you will tend to run richer.

Is the popping on acceleration (on throttle) or deceleration (off throttle)?

If the popping is on acceleration from idle to 4,000 rpms:

Measure your float height on both carburetors using a ruler and also using the "clear tube" method. Make sure your carburetors are original to your '82. Earlier models allowed adjustment of the main jet emulsion needle. Consider syncing the carbs.

If the popping is on deceleration from 4,000 to idle:

Adjust the idle mixture screw on the side that is popping. Consider syncing the carbs.

Back