bigger engine

Have you checked your timing? I was able to run right up to 65mph, but no faster, and then it would start to bleed off speed and I could not even maintain 55mph.

I thought it was a fuel issue so I tore into the carbs and cleaned them (again). This turned out to be needed and resolved a couple of minor issues, but not the top speed problem.

On Saturday, I checked my static timing. It was off. It was my own fault, I had the cam cover off a while ago and marked the distributor plate and just put it back where it was (or so i thought) without timing it. Also, before I reset it, I found out the right points were messed up, so I filed them and reset the gap. After setting both gaps, I re-timed using this method (good tutorial, don't know who this guy is, but he did a nice job):

I can now cruise over 65 mph (I usually spend my time on back roads, so not too often) and top speed is somewhere over 80mph; it's not a whole lot higher I would guess, but I got to 80mph and there was more left...going up a slight grade. As I mentioned above, I run a 37 tooth sprocket. I am 6'3" and 230#. If you are not as....imposing....you should have no problem running well over 80mph if the bike is properly tuned. If you want to cruise all day long at 80mph+, wrong bike for the job. Sell it, buy something else.

Back