bike kinda starts then dies and wont start again unless i wait a while

XSROB

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will cause my bike to do that. I'm getting fuel and I have spark and a new battery and e start doesn't work. Kicking it over

what's kinda starts, it either goes or just splutters and dies. It depends on what bike you have dohc or sohc and year

the bike will start for a second and then dies. wont stay running. i had it running before. but let it sit for a month. and its a 82 xs400 heritage special.

Maybe your fuel mixture is too rich? You could be drowning your engine

Or the obvious: dirty carbs!

im building the bike and i already cleaned them then my dad ( been riding old bikes his hole life) recleaned them before i parked it in my garage. it ran before i parked it. i drained all the fuel and the oil. the carbs are good flots dont stick or anythin. my dad already checked them. and im getting spark i checked both coils. there working just fine and the timing is fine.

After a month your carbs could be dirty again. Make sure you probe all passages with some very fine wire (two idle jets, two small passages on the air intake side, two main jets, two float passages, two bigger passages on the air intake side)

Just take off your carbs again and make sure everything is still clean. And install an inline fuel filter to avoid future problems. And check your idle mixture screw.

i have an inline fuel filter. the bike was stored in the garage under a motorcycle cover but i will look at them again tomorrow but they looked pertty clean when i took them off the other day.

the idle mixture screw is fine the bike ran perfect when i parked it. all i did was replace the battery, fuel, and oil. witch i need to do again because i put the wrong oil in.

How old are the spark plugs? And the spark plug cables? It could be that they spark when you have them out, but are not working under pressure. Are they wet after it stalls and when it doesn't want to start again?

Did you try putting your fuel cock to 'PRI" yet?

Good luck with it, this can be a real pain (I have similar problems)

Back