Bike shuts off then just clicks...

Ok so I went and did that test. Everything checks zero except for when I put the black on red and touch the whites. It jumps to random numbers then drops right back down to zero. Not sure if that means anything. also how hot is the rectifier supposed to get?

Idk maybe I need more charge on the battery? While it's idleing voltage is at 12.9. Rev it up and it rises to 13.3-13.8. I just took it for a ride and it died when I slowed down, tried to restart and unless I give it some help with the kicker it won't turn over enough to start. With the charger on the bike at 15a charge, while trying to start it it'll drop down the 7v. Once I take the charger off I can watch the amperage slowly drop from 12.6 down to 11.6-8.

Last edited:
did you check your stator and coil?

Do you KNOW how to check them?

I do get worn out repeating meself.

Drewcifer

PS, if your charging system is tip top you'llget OVER 14 volts at rev. You are NOT getting over 14.

EG. There is something wrong with your charging system. Which is made up of your STATOR and COIL. Now go and find how to test them in the manual, and post the results, please.

As I have predicted, one of your stator phases is not producing, or is shorting out. and that is why you get a partial but not full charge when running your engine.

No I haven't gotten that far yet. It's on the list. I just found two of the brush wires were broken so I replaced them with the ones out of my old starter. However even with the batt siting at 13.4 it's still only rolling over half way then stopping. Like the batt is dead. It pulls down to 9v while crankIng which should still be enough to turn over quickly, but it's not. My load tester is showing about 200cca when I load test it.

Lol. Funny

I'm giving up for the night. I'll worry about it after work tomorrow. It's supposed to rain a bit anyway.

Two brush wires broken sounds a lot like....charging system to me!

If your brush wires are broken, that is your problem. Fix them first.

Did that last night and it didn't fix it, swore that was gonna be my problem to. What would broken brush wires have to do with the charging system?

the wires feed the voltage to the rotor, and without it, the AC can't be created by the stator, and then there's no juice for the reg/rect to convert to DC

and like I've been saying since my first post, open your stator case and inspect your stator.

The brushes i'm talking about are in the starter. The starter working doesn't have anything to do with how it charges.

Did that last night as well. I had to take the cover off anyway to put the starter back in. I sprayed it all down with electrical cleaner and brake clean. Wires looked good but i didn't test anything cause I was sure that the brush wires were my issue. Sadly, i was mistaken.

I'm at work now and started going through the wiring diagrams and think i may have figured something out. I'm gonna try it when i get home and see if that does anything. I've also had the batt on the charger since 11pm last night so that should be charged by the time i get home for lunch at 11.

Well came home and thought I'd have it nailed. Nope it's never that simple. Found a couple white wires chaffed a bit down by the stator. Replaced those all the way up to the switch and still no good. Then read about the regulator bypass but that No good either. I have power at both the green and brown wires already. Then the battery dropped down and grounded out shorting out a relay and god knows what else it may have damaged. The. I guess from trying to start it over and over I think I burnt the wires on the starter brush motor again.

At that point I left the garage and went to the liquor store. I'm going to take a brake on it for a few days and just strip it down and build a new harness. Then this weekend I'm goIng to order that regulator kit that mikexs has and a new starter.

I figure with all those new parts it should fix any and all of my electrical issues.

Cheers
a10643b3.jpg

Yea i know but even after replacing them it didn't fix anything. That's why i'm just gonna start from scratch and redo it all so i know everything is good. I'm also going to try and do everything out of fiberglass wrapped wiring so it'll last.

I'm just so frustrated with trying things and them nothing working. So i figured the best thing i can do is slow down and just rewire it according to what i need. Also if i start with eveything in the electrical system new it has to work... doesn't it? At least if it doesn't it'll look nice.

Yup, I was wrong, I did have the same problem, I bought a combo volt reg, rectifier, and prior to me doing my "rewiring project" I never did get it to charge, I had to get a another Voltage regulator cause last thing I remember was before that, the headlight worked, then next test start it didnt. Now with a new VR, everythings is good again. Now the new combo VR part doesnt work, the recitfier does. Good luck
Tobie

Yea, i think the wires on the starter brushes bit the dust again. i'm gonna start stripping everything tonight. I've got most of my harness drawn out already and i've got plenty of wire here at work. I'll prob bring the bike in the house into the spare bedroom so i can work in the A/C lol.

If you're just doing a total rewire, then yes, AC is a must. And so is a calm mind. I had to go to bed angry last night in order not to make a mistake on the bike. Hang in there.
Drewpy's rewire write up is the best around.

I got a battery from Batterygeek on ebay that's a gel type and is compatable with bikes up to 850cc. It cost $29.99 shipped and has great power[I forgot the cca],but will work well on a xs400 with electric start,as the 850 that it's listed for has it as well. It measures 4-1/8"h,5-7/8l,2-3/4d. lha

Yea, it's nice now cause i can work a bit then go in the other room and sit on the couch and watch tv lol.

lha, thanks i'll have to look into that.

Attachments

• photo (29).jpg
    photo (29).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 192
Nice looking bobber! Love the vertical plate mod.

yeah, I'd drop the oil, pull out the filter, and then look inside your stator for shorts. They seem to hide there and cause a lot of issues. You won't see them from the outside, you'll have to remove the braided fabric covering over the stator wires and find the cracks. Mine were well hidden. If not there, do continuity on your wires in your harness.

I just got a new field coil, stator and starter in today so i can get back on my wiring project now. Hopefully i'll have it ready in a week or so. Figured while it was down i might as well get new controls, throttle and brake lines so i'm impatiently waiting for them to arrive.

Back