Black soot? Should i be concerned?

petei

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I toomy exhaust off and wrapped my headers yesterday and in the process noticed that the pipes were black inside, i didn'think any was wrong (i'm stil learing) until i Read this in Frech Xs400 thread.

Black sooty combustion chamaber means rich fuel mixture. As Drewpy says clean them thoroughly. Also they may be jetted incorectly by a preious owner. Check the number on the pilot and main jet and copare with the manual. IF the slide needle has multiple positons agin put it back to the palce as specified in the manual. I've played plently with changing jets and stock usually works out best.
-gentlemanjim​

here are some pictures. she starts fine, but then again this my first bike so i don't really know what fine is.

Inside the engine

Inside engine again

Inside Pipe

Honestly, it looks fine to me. You can tell if you're running rich (unlikely with stock jetting on the DOHC) because you'll be down on power. What you're seeing, AFAIK, is the reason why you shouldn't try breathing exhaust.

With an older bike, it's a little tough to diagnose. I'd leave it, and just ride.

That does give me a thought though - you may want to test ride through the rockies before your big trip to Quebec to make sure that the stock jetting will be able to get enough fuel to your engine, and not die one some mountain pass...

make sure that the stock jetting will be able to get enough fuel to your engine, and not die one some mountain pass...

Yeah i plan on it haha, this should be an adventure.

Drewpy how does one give them a clean up? Do i just shove a bush down the pipes? and the engine?

Do you have a pipe cleaner? I picked up a cheap set of metal brushes at PartSource for like 2 bucks - came with a brass, a steel and a nylon toothbrush. I'd use the brass.

use brass brush dremel or drill

Aye Aye Captain Drewpy
salute.gif

Back