blowing signal fuses.

Ryandi2

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My Name is Ryan and i am new to this forum, i just picked up a 1982 sx 400 Maxim and i am having a few issues with her. (sorry for the long post in advance)

here is the story

i picked the bike up a week or two ago and everything seemed to work great. when i was riding it one night i realized the back brake light was not working, on close inspection i noticed that my wires where cut to my brake switch and clutch switch. i bought a new switch and replaced it. nothing happened.. so after messing with it a little bit i ohm'd out the back brake switch and realized it was making the brake light stay on. so i unplugged it and brake light started to work normal. note( i noticed a blown fuse and replaced it). rode the bike for about 20 miles and blew the signal fuse. replaced it so i could get home. it lasted about 5 miles and blew.. so i got home threw another fuse in it so i can see if when i press brake switch turn signal and horn is why it was blowing but when i turned key about 3 seconds later it blew.. ( i know not to keep throwing fuse's in)

so my question is can anyone point me in the right direction or any advise?.. i am going to unplug brake switch and put fuse in and see if i blow a fuse and go from there..

thanks for any help!

welcome to the forum

its a process of elimination, which I think you already know.
(in my best Sherlock impersonation)
start checking the obvious and what is left, however improbable must be the culprit.

I suspect something damaged that circuit, based on the different lengths of time it sounds like a wire is shorting to the chassis somewhere. Chasing electrical gremlins is not fun, but the easiest way here is to put an ohm meter between brown and ground and poke around until you find it shorting. Good luck, and let me know if I should buy stock in fuses!

hey thank's for the welcome's and responses guys!

i went threw my last fuse so i need to get some more. i have .006 ohm's from brown(from rear brake switch butt connector) to ground.. that sounds right since brown runs to other loads.. (i am a little rusty on my electrical).

ThePsuedoMonkey you should have already had stock in them! ahah.

Ok so narrowed the short down to the brown and yellow/green wire that connect to the front brake switch. When disconnected the fuse does not blow.

Back