BNR buildup

BRATneveRAT

XS400 Member
Reaction score
wats goin guys. Im new here with my 1980 yamaha xs400 special. im new to bikes but not new to building different things. so this is my build....

wen i first got her she ran front wheel was locked due to a stuck caliper.....dirty carbs, but never the less bought her running for $250

looks just like this one but i have drum brakes in the rear...never took a shot of her wen i first pick her up
CIMG5825.jpg

my main goal is something to this effect...i love this bike i wish it was mine so im a go with something like this
4753197975_ce6af0d73e_b.jpg

first thing i did was rip off the seat....im like 5'4 so i like everything lowerd! took it for a couple of spins then the batt died and i couldnt ride it for a while..lol no i have her ideling but i still need to rip it all apart.

Photo-0219.jpg

Photo-0218.jpg

wanna chop up the rear
Photo-0217.jpg

Photo-0216.jpg

Photo-0214.jpg

ripped the carbs apart..
Photo-0213.jpg

will have more for ya soon.. its cold out here in mass

Hey BNR, welcome to the forum mate :thumbsup: Look forward to watching your build (clearer pictures would increase my enjoyment though...hint, hint...:D).

Are you going to go for the strut hardtail like your inspiration bike?

ok...so i have updates but i ran into an issue.
the bike was starting fine with the electric start button and now that i switched bars its been bugging out.....for a second the button worked wen i turned the throttle slightly and now the button doesnt work...im so lost. i think it could be the whole throttle and starter button where you can switch it from off to run positions...or my starter selinoid is bad..help needed

ok...so i have updates but i ran into an issue.
the bike was starting fine with the electric start button and now that i switched bars its been bugging out.....for a second the button worked wen i turned the throttle slightly and now the button doesnt work...im so lost. i think it could be the whole throttle and starter button where you can switch it from off to run positions...or my starter selinoid is bad..help needed
Sounds to me like an intermittent short either in the switch itself, or maybe the wiring. Have you pulled the cover off and taken a peek inside yet?

4753197975_ce6af0d73e_b.jpg

Hey guys, I LOVE the look your going for BRATneveRAT. I really want to do that to mine as well. I have a question though, would the bike be rigid enough with just welding the brace from the tire where the shock mounted to the tank? Or would you have to do more? Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
update...

Photo-0234-1.jpg

0503181641_01.jpg

now im running into carb issues....and no power watsover. I gotta run down all my connections and wires to see wats goin on

Looks great! Did you weld the swing arm to the main frame at the hinge? I don't want to copy your build to the letter, but I think it will be close. :) I will post some pictures soon as well. Nice work so far!

Looks great! Did you weld the swing arm to the main frame at the hinge? I don't want to copy your build to the letter, but I think it will be close. :) I will post some pictures soon as well. Nice work so far!
good looking out man, no i didnt weld the hinge dont know if i should of or not but so far so good ive driven it and im ahppy cuz now it wont try to lift up on me like a wheely,got a small stretch on it. it runs so smooth

Thanks for the info BNR.... I think I might use Hex bar for the brace.. Looking at different options right now. I will start my own thread with some pics this weekend.

So, I have started my Bobber build as well and it is going very well. Thanks again for the inspriation... I was wondering if you had an idea for the battery and electronics?. I think I have that all figured out. Dimecitycycles.com has a faux oil tank and a battery that is 4'' L x3.25" H x1'' D. Its spendy but would look sweet. here is my build thread. http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5322
Thanks again...

Back