Bobber electrical ?

0T02G

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
Thought I ask here first before digging into the wiring diagrams.
I'm turning my 1981 XS400 into a bobber.
I would like to strip the wiring down to bare bone and get rid of everything that i dont need. I'll be keeping a battery/starter, headlight, taillight, and tach. (just enough to be legal, except for the horn.)
So the question is what can I remove with out screwing up the electric start?
Blinker,relay's, neutral switch, ignition columon, or do I need to keep them to complete a circuit.
Any picture of what I can remove would be great.

Thanks
0T02G

You can remove everything but the ignition, starter(if your using estart), and lights.

You shouldn't remove these:

Blinker relays, safety switches.

But seeing how its your call.. most safety switches work by interrupting the signal between A and B. When the switch is 'tripped' it breaks the signal. Whenever the switch isn't tripped(IE kickstand is up, or whatever) the circuit completes. So you can remove the switch and just wire through it. Alternatively you simply leave that wiring out and go from wherever A starts to where B ends. The same is true for neutral safety.

As for the ignition column.. you need SOME way to start it. Or at least to activate the circuit between power and ignition(spark). If you are going to kickstart, you can ditch all the power and relays and ignition column, but you will need to wire the ignition to some kind of switch so that you can hit it on for kicking.

Back