bought 2 "parts bikes",restoring

lhaolpa

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi,I'm lha,been riding,therefore working on them for many years,since about 1966.I bought 2 bikes on e-bay.One was a Yamaha Dt400 enduro,which is 1975,the other is a xs400rj seca.My first move was to get them at least running to see if they will need extensive repairs on the motor.I got them running by filling the carbs with gas,checking spark,then starting.the enduro had no fire,and after checking everything,I took apart the keyswitch,cleaned the contacts,lubed with dielectric grease and fired it right up.It only ran about 30 seconds,but long enough to tel the motor is good.On the xs400.I cleaned the carb bowls.filled the carb bowls,and it started right up.No knocking,sounded good.I'm rebuilding the enduro,so I can explore the woods behind the house,which is a power-lines right-of way.I found this site by simply Googling xs400 Yamaha,and am glad I did.Thanks for the opportunity to read about the bikes. lha:bike:

Last edited:
i owned a 78 dt400 for years and it is an amasing woods bike with enough power to take you far beyond what the suspension can handle ha ha ha. in the woods it is capable of lifting the frontend over any log or creek or mud hole you encounter! i miss that old bike dearly :(

oh ya... welcome to the forum!

Back