Brake Light

littletimothy62

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Ok I just got an 81 XS400 Heritage right after christmas as a learner bike, Well Unfortunatly i dont know much about bikes or know anyone that does. well i got the bike home and i got the battery charged the bike started up the brake primed the carbs cleaned the oil changed but i find that the brake peddal doesnt work when pressed and when i lock the handle bars the brake light turns on and stays on even though the bike is off. Has Anyone come across this before? Any and all seggustions will be helpful

As drewpy already said a hello and a little intro would be nice.

As far as the brake light staying on when you lock the handlebars, this is supposed to happen. You have it in the park position, if you turn the key one more notch it will go out.

hahaha hello, sorry i was a little excited to find this forum and finally be able to ask the questions ive had. vfrost thank you very much for that little tidbit sure as shit when i got home i looked at the ignition and there was an L & P on the ignition but park was the last notch so i was just turning it straight to park i guess. Thank you guys again

Don't worry it took me 2 years to find out my bike even had a steering lock:doh: the spot on the ignition switch was all rubbed off so i couldnt see it.

Also be carefull even though you are now aware of the two different positions it is still easy to not turn the key far enough and walk away...not fun in the morning when you find out you have a dead battery :doh:

Back