Brake/Shifter Placement

Valkyrie0518

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1981 XS400 Special. It's currently all stock, but I am looking at turning her into a cafe style. How would one move the placement of the rear brake and shifter to a more comfortable position? I'm looking at putting some knee dents into my current tank. Not sure what to do about the seat yet. Want to do something that doesn't require much modification. Any tips?

Are you talking about installing rear-sets or just rotating/adjusting the existing setup? The stock gear shift and rear brake can be adjusted easily.

Well since they are pretty easily adjusted, I will probably just go with that. How difficult is it to install rear-sets? I want to go with clubmans so the rear-sets would be more comfortable but I'm pretty new at this.

From what I have seen rear-sets will require some welding. I have only ever seen universal kits fitted or those from existing sport bikes. It is possible someone has since come up with a new solution, but in the past it was an entirely custom job.

The gear selector just sits on a spline with a single bolt holding it on; you can't mess it up unless you over-tighten it when you re-install.

The rear brake pedal also sits on a spline but finer adjustment is going to depend on whether you have drums or a disc in the back. There is usually a backing plate behind the pedal with an adjustable bolt/nut. The drum can also be finagled with near the rear wheel; there is a rod with a spring and special nut on it that can be tightened or loosened.

Don't forget to make sure your rear brake pedal light sensor is still working after this adjustment; it may need adjusting itself.

Edit:

One more thing; if you adjust the rear brake pedal or its travel be sure to test the rear before you ride. Depending on how you adjust it it can become much easier to lock up.

Back