Brand New xs400 Owner With Electrical Problems

trevingray9

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Im in the process of purchasing an 81 xs400 off a guy. He initally was asking $1,500 for it. I talked him down to $1,100. Then we went to check it out and it doesnt run. He said he had it running 4 months ago and that it just needs a new battery. But we checked it out and it doesnt have any spark. I am new to the xs400 world and am wondering if anyone has any advice on how much i should offer for the bike. I dont want to pay too much and then have to turn around and pay a bunch for electrical whether its new coils, wiring, etc. Any suggestions will help. Thankssssssssss.

I thought prices here were high. In Western NY titled/running XS400's go for $800 to $1200. Looking at CL for Utah there's currently only a couple listed in the whole state, so I gather they're pretty rare? If $1100 is a price you'd be happy with, maybe try $800 cash in hand, using the electrical problem and no test ride as leverage? Then even if you need to sink several hundred into it you'd hopefully still come out even. I wish you luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. It does seem pretty rare to find an xs400 around here. This is the first I have come across after 6 or so months of searching. Its definitely something I will have to think about for a couple days. I do value your thoughts and appreciate your comments. Thanks a bunch.

Depends on the state of all the other parts like tires chain brakes appearance etc. 1100 for a non runner is too much in any case. I bought mine running for 125 euros.. of course in your area they might be more expensive in general but i wouldnt go over 800 if i were you

Back