Brat Style?

darmstro

Cycle10blue
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am new to the forum and fairly new to building bikes.

I saved a stock (in poor condition)1981 xs400 from the scrap yard a week ago or so, I was picking up an old snowmobile and the farmer had it loaded into his scrap trailer...... so about $100.00 later and some tinkering she was up and running. I have been working on it since and have posted some pics of it's progress. I narrowed/shortened the rear frame, lowered the fuel tank and battery box, lowered and rebuild the front forks.... added some super bike bars (narowed) a 5.00-16 Firestone rear tire, front is a 4.00-18 but will be changed out to a 3.50-18 Firestone, fabbed a seat pan and taillight/licese plate mount (1969 Bridgestone tail light)...... the bike is not going to be high dollar just a low cost bar hopper (The bike is still in early "mock up"......I plan to dismantle and give it new paint over the winter). Sorry for the poor photos... it was misty raining out. I am also thinking of possibly adding a smaller tank but do like the idea of the stock tank for longer distance riding ( Stock tank also gives it more of a Bulldog stance).

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 1,127
  • IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 324
cool start! i wouldn't say its brat but i'm not a fan of labelling your style either. custom is cool enough for me!

Hey thanks,

I am new to building bikes..... these little yamadogs are pretty cool...... I think a smaller front tire, more shallow head light bucket (something that mounts closer to the forks), and a new paint job (semi-gloss wheels, gun metal tank and panels?? who knows) this bike is going to be a cool little ripper!

I'm glag I saved it from the crusher!

later!

I had a 4.00-18 on the rear at first but like the wide 16 better.... I am going to put a 3.50-18 Firestone on the front as well.

later!

Back