Bratstyle 1982 SECA

Jeff0133

XS400 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
While I was tearing my SECA appart for my build(all over the place thread) my buddy took interest....and bought a Maxim.
IMG_20160813_083243.jpg

It was running on a single cylinder...
Checked spark which we had...cleaned the carbs and vrrrouum 2 cylinders!
Took the bike for a ride on a week end along with my Maxim....
IMG_20160905_124514.jpg

He took a liking to the little 400s.
Seeing that I was planning a cafe build with my crashed SECA...he started wanting 6 speeds also.
So I started shopping around and found this.
IMG_20161110_174317.jpg

A SECA 1982 frame that NEVER-EVER saw pavement...it still has the little paint torque dots on the bolts from the factory,the rear sprocket doesn't even have oil or grease on it. The brakes are brand spankin new ....I mean it is ALL new...but there was no engine. The seller sold the frame as is for 350$ threw in a SECA engine.
So...pretty good deal...
We tore the engine apart and it wasn't in very good shape, the pistons were almost seized in the cylinders, the valves were caked... maybe even pitted. This engine was beaten to it's near death and not very well maintained. So me and my buddy agreed that we could take the Maxim cylinder,pistons,head and keep the crank case with the 6 speed tranny and make for a pretty good engine.
Now I went about it the same way I did in my other thread(that I Will update when I get the chance) so I won't redo the whole engine thing here.
To sum it up we cleaned,blasted,painted everything.Changed timing chain, whole new seals and gaskets, new starter bearing, new piston rings, cylinders honed, all stainless steel hardware, timed as per manual, grinded valves/valve seats, changed out the valve bucket shims to specs...checked everything,measured everything(clutch friction plates, clutch springs, oil pump)..here it is...
IMG_20161110_172807.jpg
IMG_20161110_172819.jpg

Now my buddy wants to paint the starter...Will be done a little later.

Tonight We took the forks off cause he wants to paint the lowers on them, and he took the Big ugly couch of a seat off and took the grinder to the frame for some detabbing and shortening.
IMG_20161115_200059.jpg

With all of this my other build is on hold...the good news is he Will probably give me his Maxim frame to play with...so it was well worth the time..

Since the beginning, he wanted dual shocks on His bike.So I shopped around, and swing arms are about 200$ with shipping to Canada being what it is...and all the hassles involved in fitting the swing arms with the frame and wheels of the SECA so I got to thinking about modifying the existing swing arm...
After a couple hours of fabrication( mostly welding and grinding)...
IMG_20161116_183244.jpg

All that is left is to order 300mm shocks, weld brackets on the frame drill a hole in the fabbed swing arm and voilà....oh and painting of course

Then we stripped the paint off the tank, we probably leave it bear...it looks pretty good.
Oh and we cut the frame a to prepare for a back hoop.
IMG_20161128_191548.jpg

While preparing the swing arm for paint, we noticed the needle bearings in the swing arm were destroyed...so we put in new ones
IMG_20161128_191437.jpg

Made a rear hoop. Had to rig something up on my welding table first.
IMG_20161212_151949.jpg

The 7/8 tube fits right in between the square tube and the rounded off template.We filled the tube with sand to prevent kinks, taped off the ends, braced the table to a tree, then with a 10 foot 1 inch tube bended the 7/8 like it was nothin'.
We proceeded to cutting to lenght and plug welding/welding the hoop to the frame.
Also welded the brackets(1/4 inch steel) for the shocks. A little paint and we will be starting basic assembly soon
IMG_20161212_151721.jpg
IMG_20161212_151702.jpg

The new shock brackets extend past the hoop weld to act as reinforcements , it Will be a single Seat bike but better err on the safe/sturdy side.

Started reassembly...Here is the mock-up
IMG_20161222_174210.jpg

Still some adjusting to do, polishing the tank, but it vives a good idea of where it is going...

Today we tackled the wiring harness...:doh:
His looked new at first glance...But after a closer look...Some relays and connectors were chopped off:thumbsdown:.
So I used the harness off of my own project to compare to his. And we had two other harnesses kicking around in a box from which we could harvest parts.
So I heated up the soldering iron and went to work.Took about an hour and a half and we had a complete harness again.
IMG_20170103_154941.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170103_154953.jpg
    IMG_20170103_154953.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 269
We routed the harness back on the bike, polished the tank some more, changed the handlebar risers for lower ones(looks better imo), put the controls back on the handlebars, installed the throttle cable,clutch cable and choke cable.
IMG_20170103_183636.jpg
IMG_20170103_183624.jpg

Not Much to report.
We rebuilt the front caliper with a kit bought from powerhouse, and rebuilt the master cylinder with a kit from the same place.
Changed the jets un the carbs 147,5 and 45's because you know... Pods;)

Exhaust mock-up today. And a stainless steel braided brake Line Up front.loosing my patience with the master cylinder...Can't seem to bleed the damn thing after the rebuild...
IMG_20170126_203641.jpg

Today we fired her Up!...Went like a champ after a few cranks...
So our engine rebuild/electrical skills are (for now) not too bad.
Can't seem to find Exhaust studs anywhere...So i'll be shopping around...Maybe an M8 stainless steel Hex head bolt to replace those....There she sits...After a warm-up start-up.
IMG_20170202_181412.jpg
Oh!...Bought a headlight also...Off of a Suzuki GS-450.
IMG_20170129_115534.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing work so far! Agreed that there aren't many brat builds with DOHC bikes, I'll be keen to see how this one turns out.

Back