Broke my oil filter cover and cant find new one

tharpe89

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have been searching everywhere for a new oil filter cover for my 82' yamaha xs400 I tightened it too much and cracked it and haven't found a new one anywhere online or in stores. If someone could direct me where to find one that would be greatly appreciated!

Or any motorcycle salvage shop near you? Surely one from another Yamaha or perhaps even another brand should work. Just take your old one with you.

I looked on ebay and multiple websites for hours last night to no avail. I haven't looked at any salvage yards yet. From another post here they suggested to get a cover from a Kawasaki but they had to sand out the middle hole for the bolt. Here is the like to that thread if anyone is interested. http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942

So if anyone can give me input on this that would be great.

I did the same thing on my last oil change on my 82 XS400 (11lbs of torque - lesson learned the hard way), and also have had no luck finding one on eBay, local wrecking yards, etc. There are a ton of the clamshell-type covers, but not these as far as I could find.

I was considering just brazing it myself (which I may do anyway just to give brazing a try), but that link from BBS360 seems to be exactly what I need. I think the brazing would work, but I will feel much more comfortable with a replacement.

I need to double check the part number in the manual when I get home, but it looks like the one.

Thanks BBS360 for the link - for whatever reason that online store never showed up in my Google search.

BBS360 I looked there and they said they didn't have any even tho their website says they do,but I greatly appreciate it. Metroknow I did find a link that might be useful to you http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942. If interested I do have one of the covers in that link I just posted just let me know and I can send it to you for free but I would like if you paid for shipping.

BBS360 I looked there and they said they didn't have any even tho their website says they do,but I greatly appreciate it. Metroknow I did find a link that might be useful to you http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942. If interested I do have one of the covers in that link I just posted just let me know and I can send it to you for free but I would like if you paid for shipping.

I might have to take you up on that...looks like they cancelled my order. I will PM you - Thanks!!

I have been searching everywhere for a new oil filter cover for my 82' yamaha xs400 I tightened it too much and cracked it and haven't found a new one anywhere online or in stores. If someone could direct me where to find one that would be greatly appreciated!

I bought one yesterday at Toronto Cycle Salvage, ph# 416 259 7991, Yamaha do not make this part anymore, I was very relieved when I found one after searching on the Internet for hours with no luck, I then started calling scrap yards and found one on the third call.
Good luck.
TonyB

Metroknow if you are interested just send me a personal message with your address and name and I can mail it to you I'm going to just pay upfront for the shipping and then ill send a copy of the receipt so you know how much it will be. I'm sure it shouldn't be more than 6 dollars

Out of curiosity has anybody tested to see if a "clamshell" style will work on an 82 XS400? Seems like an obvious "probably not a good idea even if it seats" situation, but just wondering how much different they would be. With the abundance of them (and the scarcity of the flat disk type on the 82 DOHC models), I just wondered if there were any options along those lines. There are 32 of them alone on eBay - zero of the plate-types for my bike.

I also realize this is one of those open-myself-up-to-noob-flaming situations, but I'll take my lumps to learn something :).

It would be worth trying if you were otherwise stuck with an engine that couldn't hold oil.

But even if it had the same diameter, you would likely have to have an extended bolt for the additional distance created by the chamber.
And, even if it worked, that chamber would hang down below the engine reducing ground clearance. Could be a way to reduce supply though :wink2:

Using the slightly modified Kawasaki cover seems like the best option if a skilled aluminum welder doesn't owe you a favour

Thanks Lou Ranger - great points. Tharpe89 is hooking me up with a Kawasaki cover (thank you!), so I'm going to give that a shot. Once I get the old one off and am up and running I am going to give brazing it myself a shot to see how it goes. I'll post the results.

Back