Wanted - Broken side covers

GenusHomo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to fix my side cover that is missing the plastic pin(broke clean off) that pushes into the rubber gas tank grommet. Bike is a 1982 Maxim.

I really just need the pin if someone has one that broke off their side cover or I'll buy a broken side cover if someone has one with the pin still intact.

Thanks

If the pin is broken clean off, but you still have it, I was able to re-attach mine as described herein: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11214

I owned a Honda 450 Nighthawk for 35 days this summer and, before I sold it to my friend, I made a new "nubbin" for one of the covers. A PO had lost it.

Roughen up the surface of the cover where it broke and also sand the flat top of a "trumpet-style" steel woodscrew with course sandpaper. Then apply a blob of GOOP on the cover area and press the screw head into it. I licked my fingers and shaped the excess around and over the screw head.
Position it perfectly vertical so the screw won't lean as the GOOP dries and leave it for 24 hrs in a warm place (or clamp it if you happen to have one that can fit).

Next day, apply GOOP to the threads of the screw and this time hang it upside down so that when the GOOP sags while drying, it will form a kind of blob on the tip of the screw. Let it dry for 24 hrs.
I had to do this several times over several days in order to build up a large enough blob of GOOP in the right place (don't use too long a wood screw, but do use a thick one). The last day, it was actually a little too big to go in through the rubber mounting hole and I had to trim it back slightly with real sharp scissors until it fit very snugly.

I know, it sounds stupid and awfully fiddly, but it worked perfect and should last a long time since it does not get exposed to sunlight UV (which wrecks GOOP in a few months with constant exposure).

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably give that a shot since I don't have the original pin and it doesn't seem likely for me to find a broken sidecover with a good pin.

I'll probably use some JB Weld for plastic that I already have (mended a broke in half side cover with it and it's sandable/paintable) unless goop is really cheap. Is that stuff available at most stores?

Up here it goes on sale for about $7 for a big tube. It's handy for lots of other things (I repaired a de-lamination in my boot sole, and attached seat cover material to the plastic form, for example). It's at HOME hardware, auto supplies, etc.

JB-W might work a well or better, but I didn't have any at the time and I assumed that anything too rigid would be brittle too. The GOOP dries very hard but still slightly pliable.
Before drilling the "dowl" holes and using GOOP on the Maxim nubbin, I tried a surface bond with the kind of glue that sticks your finger together in seconds. Snapped the firs time I put any shearing force on it. The GOOP repair has held now for 2 years.

Back