Broken terminal PLug?

Sesty

H.E. Pennypacker
Reaction score
went to throw on new plugs today (NGK Iridiums).

When i pulled the caps off the terminals plug on the top of the plug looks way different than any plugs ive see.

Did the terminal plug come off in the cap?

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 57
Just unscrew the cap off the new plug to expose the threads. Also if you are using the stock 7-9 ohm wire caps you will have to get some non-resistor ones to go with the 5ohm iridium plugs. That is what I run on both of my xs400's and it works well.

thanks chris, do the wire caps just twist off as well?

and im gonna try to run it tonight just cleaned and rejetted the carbs

will it run ok with with the OEM wire caps now or is it too much resistance? ill have to order them this weekend.

thanks chris, do the wire caps just twist off as well?

and im gonna try to run it tonight just cleaned and rejetted the carbs

will it run ok with with the OEM wire caps now or is it too much resistance? ill have to order them this weekend.

Plug caps just unscrew from wires. Unless there's something wrong with the original caps, just use them. The ignition won't care if it is 5 or 10k resistance at spark plug voltage. If you fit new, cut back wire about 6 mm/.25". Makes for a better connection.

NGK makes replacement caps in both 5 and 10kohms, and for use with or without the screw on terminal. Stock is with the terminal nut removed as you saw above. Stock caps are 5 k. Dennis Kirk sells new NGK plug caps, various configurations.

If they prove to have problems, they're cheap to replace. I think the last time I bough them they were under $10.00 each. They rarely fail. The rubber part that seals against the ceramic dies off, and they get whacked and cracked, but seldom just die.

Remember more resistance equals weaker spark.

Not exactly. :)

A moderate amount of resistance will produce a hotter, but shorter duration spark. No resistance will produce a long but cold spark. Along with lots of electrical noise that can effect electronics. It is a balancing act that the factory engineers spent a lot of time on getting just right: A hot enough spark to fire a fouled sparkplug, but not so hot as to wear the plugs out too quickly.

You don't need a resistor cap if you have a resistor plug. I have run them both ways and they work much better a 5 ohms than 10+

Dave are you agreeing with Chris that i should go non resistor cap route since the plugs have resistors? which would keep the resistance at 5?

That depends on your bike. Later bikes have both resistor caps and resistor plugs. The ignition system was designed that way. Earlier bikes often used one or the other, but not both. Build your ignition system such that the coils are being operated as they were designed.

The Iridium plugs are less prone to fouling or misfiring, and they wear slower due to the Iridium electrode. So they can tolerate either a weak spark, or a hot one.

i will eventually pick up new non-resistor caps to keep the resistance how it was before the new plugs.

to install the cap, i just cut the wire and push the cap on?

does anyone have an image of what the wire end looks like with out the cap on it for a '78 the cap came off relatively easily with out screwing off.

You may need to cut 1/4" off the ends to get a good bite on the wire. Over time the cap screws will wear out the wire.

Attachments

• DSC02178.jpg
    DSC02178.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 55
Back