BS34 Emulsion Tubes

andrewvalentine

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone:
I have a '78 XS400-2E that will only run with the choke on. I took the carbs completely apart with the exception of 1 pilot jet that is stripped (which I ordered replacements), and both emulsion tubes which are stuck in place. I've tried additional heat to get them out with no luck. I'm going to try boiling them today but if that doesn't work does anyone have a suggestion on how to free them up? I'm getting desperate here since the riding season is quickly ending.
Thanks!

With the washers under the main jets removed, reinstall the main jets a couple threads. Tap with hammer and the emulsion tubes should start to move. Remove the main jets and push the tubes out. Be aware that there is a locating pin for the emulsion tubes. You should be able to see it with the main jets and washers removed. If you hit the main jets too hard you risk damaging or breaking off this pin. Do NOT try to drive the tubes out using the main jets!

Oven.I have found over the last few weeks that 400F will get most anything out...
I actually unsleeved my cylinder at that temperature.

I wouldn't recommend using the oven unless a complete disassembly is done, including the throttle shafts, and the throttle shaft seals and butterfly screws are replaced. Most people don't need to go that far...

Back