BS34 Float Bowl: Stripped Threading

This is getting more and more frustrating.

i took the carbs again again and cleaned all the passages by hand with my air compressor and some carb cleaner/seafoam.

re-cut some fuel line with the fuel filter to the petcock, just in case.

now i can't get her to start. i put a bit of oil in the cylinders in case. replaced the spark plugs, charged my battery and my back up battery.

been kicking it for 4 hours now without a start.

what on earth is happening.

EDIT: i'm getting fuel to the cylinders, the spark plugs have been getting soaked with fuel. i'm also getting a spark at the plugs, i tested it against the block and rotated the engine, and got a spark on both sides. I also tried starting it without the filters on. that covers gas, air, and fire.

Last edited:
Why did you put oil in the cylinders? Plugs are most likely fouled now.

I had read that too much fuel in the cylinder (due to carburetor issues) can cause the cylinder to run rough, which is what i thought i was experiencing on my left side.

some other posts/forums said that adding a little oil could help lube it back up.

i did foul a few plugs, i used old plugs first assuming i would foul, but even with a brand new set its still not working.

I had similar issues with mine for a while. Turned out it was simple. I'd accidentally put the timing cam at the points in 180 degrees off.
Took it out, rotated it 180, put it back in, fired up right away.

Was aware of the issue before trying it but kept telling myself that it couldn't be the problem since I had set the timing correctly.

Just went through and re-checked valves, re did points. both were within a reasonable range of the manual's specs.

i'm boiling the carbs again right now. I kind of feel like adding oil to the cylinders may be adding to my problem.

i did an oil change yesterday too because there was a little fuel in my oil. but i noticed while turning over my engine with a 17mm socket and the plugs taken out. the rotation sounded different.

are there possible side effects of adding oil through the plug hole like i did?

either way i'll update after i put my carbs back together, again...

an apology is in order. xschris you were close.

all of what you said probably still needs to be done soon, but i believe my main mistake was that in the diaphragm i put the needle slide plate before the need slide itself.

i saw the blow-out images of the carb on bike bandit that it was that way, and remembered putting it in reverse when i was putting my carbs back together ( though i don't remember doing one side differently from the other so i'm not sure why it seemed like only the left side was dead ).

as for my original issue, it seems to be fixed.

sorry guys, i can't believe i posted this carb issue.

glad you got it sorted out, but to answer your question about the oil in the cylinders, you didnt harm anything. it's often used during a compression test and done for other reasons as well. no problem there

Back