busted bleeder valve off - ideas?

downtimeinc

downtime
Reaction score
Hey guys - finally got my 79 up and running and just about finished...was in the final stages of adding fluids etc when i managed to sheer off the bleeder valve on my rear disc brake. I hit it up with pb blaster then tried to get it with a grabit - 3 sizes and a broken off in the hole bit and i am stuck. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I have a machine shop nearby that could drill it out, but not sure about finding a larger size bleeder valve for a rethread or if that would even work. Has anyone else had any success rescuing a bleeder valve or do i need to start looking for a new caliper... Also, does anyone know if the 650 calipers would work? Thanks

I'd give the machine shop a try. If they have an EDM machine they could get the broken bit out easy. They are going to know all the tricks and have the tools to get the broken bleeder screw out without boogering the threads. Might be cheaper than another caliper, especially if some of the guys in the shop are bike owners and willing to help out a brother.

Back