Buying a bike, no title but seller is working with me to get one.

Ace4569

Original XS400 Chick
Reaction score
finally found an XS for sale. Really clean except for seat (easily replaced) I for sure want this bike only problem is no title. He bought 2 bikes both weren't working and he fixed this one up. I have done some research and I think a title can be obtained using a bill of sale. I won't buy the bike without a title but he is working with me to get one. He's actually one of our members here. Seems like a really nice guy and everything. There is definitley no shady business going on here. I just want to get everyone's opinion on this subject or if you know anything about getting titles please let me know.

Thanks, Ace

I am 95% in on this bike just need some info/opinions on title work :bike:

Well I had that issue myself, but im in Canada. Im not exactly sure how it works stateside. But over here they require an affidavit. If that is not enough, then you will also have to go a Yamaha dealer. The dealer will confirm that the vin is a real yamaha vin and they will write you a letter to give to the Ministry of Transport along with the affidavit. Im actually in the process of doing that rite now. Sometimes finding the last registered owner is a pain, because the bikes may have been laying around so long unregistered. Hope that's of any help .

if you really like that seat i suggest finding a reputable upholstery shop to fix it for you! i do this for a living and a sweet seat on a bike is like a sweet paint job on a car!!! one of the first things you see. and it shouldn't be hard to have a duplication made if the trimmer is talented!! i want to learn how to make chopper style leather saddle seats, so i still have a bare pan. people are digging my seat pan though so i might leave it!! lol.

that is a sweet looking bike!!!

I do like the seat alot and it looks like one I could sit on all day didn't think of getting it reapolsterd thanks for the heads up. Yeah I love this bike I'm excited to see what happens with the title and discuss price with the guy. I just feel like since he is wiling to put work into it for me before he sells it and he is really good with communication this is really too good ot pass up. Frickin titles!

yeah Titles are a PITA, In MA you can get one with a billof sale but it needs to go throught the ringer before you can get one, when I got my mini from the UK they told me I needed to contact the lady that bought the car...in 1982 ....WTF?

ended up taking about 6 months to get clean titles...but thats like gold around these parts.

good luck with the process :)

It's going to vary a lot from state to state, but your local dmv website might have the info if you can find it. You should probably just give them a call and save yourself the nightmare of trying to search their website for rules on antique motorcycles.

In NH if the bike is so many years old all you need is a bill of sale; the dmv will run the vin to see if it is stolen or whatever and I think you can do this in advance.

So, in essence you do not need a title here, but it may be different in Ohio and probably is.

Bcware is right that registering bike's without titles varies between states. In NJ I believe that you need a bill of sale that has been notarized.

As for a new seat cover, depends on what you are going to do with the bike. If you want to keep it original looking, the seat cover pattern varied through the years and while you can easily get a new cover made from the pieces of the old one, the molded-in design won't match the original. You didn't mention the year of the bike. Since I wanted to keep my '80 original looking, I bought one off ebay from the guy in Indonesia (IIRC) who makes repro covers for all makes and models of bikes sold world-wide. My son did the same for his '81, which has a different molded pattern. I actually like the pattern (rolled) of the '81/82 seat better than mine but it is not original to my year.

I live in Wisconsin. got a xs400 from a guy about 5 years ago no title. Finally went to dmv with him last xmas break he said he had it titled before and even had a plate. They could not find record.Had to call special number at dmv was told to take pics of neck id numbers send pics, bill of sale and check 79.80 and fill out registration.They will look through old micro fish. Still not found.Next was told they would title if I go to insurance company and get a surety bond and a letter of power of attorney for 750.00 on bike .Surety bond is needed for 5 years. State determines price bike is worth so if ratty send extra pics showing this. I did not . My first time doing this.The bond cost me 50.00 and is good for the five years. It took 2 months for all the paper work to go through the ins company and dmv almost equal time at both.Now have Title on 81 xs400 that I got in very good shape with great compression for an equal trade of a SIX PACK of Mikes hard lemonade. Also told state in bill of sale for equal trade so I did not get charged for sales tax. Dmv person told me to do it that way. Also have xs850 that I got free at a storage shed auction that I have to do.

I lived in Texas most of my life,and have gotten a few bikes that had no titles.Don't know if it's still the same way,but it used to be easy.You just had to weigh it,trace the numbers on paper,they'd run the numbers,and if not stolen,they'd issue a title.They only kept up with serial#s for 5 years.Where I live now,a signed title,and you walk away with tags. lha:bike:

finally found an XS for sale. Really clean except for seat (easily replaced) I for sure want this bike only problem is no title. He bought 2 bikes both weren't working and he fixed this one up. I have done some research and I think a title can be obtained using a bill of sale. I won't buy the bike without a title but he is working with me to get one. He's actually one of our members here. Seems like a really nice guy and everything. There is definitley no shady business going on here. I just want to get everyone's opinion on this subject or if you know anything about getting titles please let me know.

Thanks, Ace

I am 95% in on this bike just need some info/opinions on title work :bike:

Ace, Did you ever get te title for your bike? I'm in the same situation and I was woundering how or if you got the title. I live in Newark, Ohio and need to get my 81 xs400 on the road.:banghead:

In NJ you cannot get a new title without the old title ... except ... if you go thru the pain and time of applying for title to an "abandoned vehicle". Its not easy and takes time and persistance. Only worth it if the bike is an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal.

I was looking at a bike on here with no title and got very little help crom the dmv. Went to the license bureau on Morse in columbus, and got more from the pamphlet out front than the person behind the counter :banghead: in any case it looks like you have to do a $5new title search, go to coutr to get a clurt order to make a new title pay court costs, etc., etc..... all told it looked lije it wasgoing to be somewhere north of $125the to get it done

Posted via Mobile

There is also a member on here in delaware. (Captain) who has a frame with title, might be worth looking into...

Posted via Mobile

Back