Buying my first motorcycle, what do you think about this?

Personally, if I had $3k to burn, I'd rather have 2 different stock bikes to ride instead (maybe a small one to throw around, and a comfortable one to go on longer trips with gear etc.).

Again, if the extra $1500 you will pay gives you all the custom work and non-stock parts that you would feel compelled to pay for anyway after buying a stock 650 for $1500, then it is $3k which you will spend one way or another - so decent deal.

Thanks for the responses everyone... came with a cash offer and he did not take it, so that's that! Looking at some more, and suggestions always welcome: currently looking at this bike if you all have any comments on it. Just drove by and I am digging it.
https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&cat=144&ad=30060592

Looks like another hack job:doh: It maybe worth $1200 if all works fine on it, but that's it.

I'm not an expert on vt500 bikes but seems okay for the price. That is, if the seller is telling the truth and there isn't anything fishy with the ownership and title.

Okay, last time I post about a different bike in need of advice in this thread.

https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&cat=144&ad=30157454

What do you all think of this. The original title says 0 miles, with the first owner owning it from 2003. Kind of weird, but that aside, what do you all think of it. All street legal which is nice, and way cheaper. Still asking too much? Thanks!
Don't worry, you don't have to promise not to ask anymore. This is kind of fun.

These bikes are terrific. Same mechanicals as the Honda Shadow 500. I looked at both variations when I was buying and, up here, they go for more than this one unless they are worn out or in bad repair.
The Ascot is styled differently than the low-seat Shadow's cruiser style and it has a higher seat. Could be a problem if your inseam is < 30" but otherwise, a matter of personal comfort. The Ascot was more rare - either didn't make them for as long or not as popular originally, but now sellers (here anyway) seem to be able to command a premium. Must be fashionable in some circles.

You would love the shaft drive and not having to adjust valves, however, you would have to trade off those maintenance items for looking after a water cooling system.

The only downside to the old 500 Shadows I looked at was the fuelling configuration. In order to fit the V-twin in under the tank and maintain the lines and the low seat in such a compact space, the fuel didn't flow by gravity but, instead, had to come out of the bottom of the tank and then be pumped up into the carbs. As long as this pump works you're fine and, being a Honda, they probably almost never fail.
But, if you are the one in a million and it happens in the rain in the middle of nowhere...
Rather than carry a spare pump though, I would just have a AAA card :wink2:
I am not sure, given its height, if the Ascot needed to use this fuelling configuration. Maybe not and, if not, that's a bonus.

Back