Buying parts for 1982 XS400SJ!

pears

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm back, and I have some more questions.

Alright, so as most of you know I got 1982 XS400SJ a little while back and am slowly rebuilding it. So far the carbs are cleaned and I'm getting a rebuild kit. It starts up, runs, and even drives! It backfires alot though.

Now, I saw that MikesXS is having what looks like a GREAT sale on rims/spokes, and the ones on this bike are rusted beyond fixing(Really, one of the only places. Besides the exhaust..) so I thought it might be a good time to get some.. I was hoping to have it running good before throwing money out on cosmetic parts, but it kicks over and starts so I'm thinking there's no way something UN-repairable is broken?

So anyways, it seems like it has a 16" back and an 18" front?

Well, I saw this https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-wm-2-15-x-16-x-48-hole-rear-rim-and-spoke-kit it says for XS650 but is there a reason it wouldn't fit a XS400 if it's 16"? But then I saw 2.15, so will the stock tires not fit? And the only cheap 18" was this https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/yamaha-xs650-wm-2-15-x-18-x-48-hole-alloy-rim-34 and it's not a kit! And the spokes they recommend are $79!

EDIT: Well.. I know the reason.. 48 spokes..

I don't know what to get..

Ugh, I don't know! Could someone help out? And if anyone knows, how long should this sale last?

Last edited:
I hate to bump it but I really do need help..

And I also forgot to mention I think it needs new tires too so I need some recommendations on inexpensive but quality tires. The tires on it look fine, my father says they have no dry rot, but they have been on it for 30+ years, and 25 of them it's just been sitting. Actually, the old tubes even still hold air surprisingly!

I think you're entering fairly unknown territory. Can you use 48 spoke rims with 36 spoke hubs? Skip every 3rd hole?
I don't know.

Would you be lacing the spokes yourself?

The 2.15 will be the rim size at least, not the tire size, so in that one regard you'd probably be ok.

Have you tried emailing Mike's?

I sure am.. I'm extremely new to this..

I didn't even think about emailing mikes.. I'll probably do that.

Back