Caliper won't fit over rotor.

cutlass400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new member here with some brake problems. I got and 82 xs400sh that had drum brakes in the front with the wire wheels. I got aluminum wheels for it with the disc brake in the front. I got the correct forks, caliper and master cylinder for it. After going through 3 calipers, finally finding one in good enough shape to rebuild I went to bolt it on and the bracket won't fit because the rotor is too big. The caliper bracket won't reach the mounting holes on the fork. Does anyone know if there were different size rotors used on these things or did I get the wrong caliper? I beleive the caliper is off an earlier bike (78?) but from what I've seen they are all the same. I got the rotor with the wheels and the guy pulled it out of a box of random parts it bolts to the wheel fine but could still be from a different bike. Thanks for any input.

you need to post a picture of the disk and caliper/mount.

I assume that the mount says L on it?

This is the caliper bracket pushed up against the rotor as you can see it is still about a half inch until the holes in the bracket line up with the holes in the fork. I measured the rotor the diameter is almost exactly 12 inches or 305mm does anyone know the correct size for this rotor?

Attachments

• rotor.jpg
    rotor.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 191
Looks like you have a xs650 rotor. The xs400 uses a 11" I do believe.

Good call on the rotor size. This is a picture on my bike which has the stock front alloy and disk brake. Look at the distance from the edge of the rotor to the rim of the wheel in my picture and compare it to the picture above. The XS400 rotor I have is much smaller:

frontbrake.png

This matches up with the XS400 rotor being 267mm and the XS650 being 298mm.

Thanks for he help guys I ordered an xs400 rotor from ebay. I'll let you know how it works out. The guy I got the wheels from had a 650 too I guess that's where this rotor came from.

You can use a rear rotor off a xs650 but not the front they are two different sizes.

the caliper carrier is the later swivel pin design. you may be using an older fork/disk with a later brake system.

Back