Cam chain tensioner help !!!

1982xs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
82 xs400 maxim Recently heard a clunk sound almost like a chain skipping, bike starts ok , only notice it around 4k rpm does clunk sound even if revving sitting on stand, any info will help, any diagrams have not taken anything apart,,,ty.

Maxim is different than my bike, when mine went out, I think that was the time I was able to drive the bike home in serve limp mode. I should have stopped, and figured out a tow, or gone home, as oppose to continue to work in a not running at full power mode. My cam chain tensioner over compressed the rails, and if that wasn't bad enough, I had a few other issues. (maybe that is the time the valve screw beat a hole though the inspection cap), I remember one time, I drove with out a spark plug on, to reduce the noise, I thought I blown a coil. I have been lucky. I have a funtioning bike at all. That rail, at the end of that trip, was in the shape of an "L"
the other side broke in half.

The tensionner is really an easy inspect.
Just behind the carbs, held by two allenhead M6 bolts.
Take it out to see if that's the culprit, there is a gasket there, careful not to rip/deform it.
Also be aware to put it back in in the right position (not upside down)...don't ask how I know:doh:
...also is the sound you hear a clunk...or a pop...that would be different altogether..

Allen head bolts seem hard to reach, , what is best tool to use, pivoting socket???

Once the fuel tank is off, you might have enough room for 3/8 socket with a 5mm Allen. From there, if you have a trouble getting to one of them, you might get lucky with a 90 degree angle ones. You can always shave one down to a manageable height. (electric belt sander/grinder/sawsall) (pick safest option) Personally I have always had to pull the engine out. but I have seen posts where the recommendation was just take off the top. Then I would use a handle to a Bit set, to get the extra torque to remove the exiting bolt. (like one that is used with screwdriver bits or similarly reinforced to handle the stress.)

Tensioner is located under the carbs Hard to reach, was able to get the bigger center bolt and two springs out, no luck yet with the Allen head bolts, cleaned springs and put back together,, still makes noise, but the noise might be the clutch or gears???, It seems to be having issues getting into neutral , so is the noise the cam chain or possibly the transmission??? Have not changed oil or filter yet...

Back