Cam timing off one tooth, still run?

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
is it possible that the bike will still run even though the cam may be retarded by one tooth?

Im doubting myself here that i set the cam time correct after over a year if having the engine complete.

It runs just fine IMO. I recently switched back to points while i wait on Pamco Pete... the original reason why i bought the Pamco was because i could never get the points timed right. I had to advance the plate all the way clockwise until the left point plate hit the set screw on the head just to get it to fire on time... even then it was still set alittle less than 10 degrees. More like TDC.

It seems im getting a weird pre/post ignition and one cylinder is acting up and its some sort of misfire issue.

Confirmed!

The cam has been behind by one tooth and ive been running the bike like this since i rebuilt the engine!

Before:

EC5E2DCA-5077-4226-A3C5-FA49B6BB75D9.jpeg

After:
A3BC168B-14C0-4FE3-AB88-339E4F13D083.jpeg

As far as I know, the problem is solved. Everything turns freely. I was setting the points and getting it timed statically and my battery decided to go dead on me.. A new battery is in on my list even though this one works fine. I can use it for my other bikes. I just picked up a 79 XS400 and I still have the 80 CB650 that i picked up last fall.

It was getting dark as I was wrapping things up with the points so ill be able to give the battery a full charge and let the sealant on the cam cover get set up properly.

Bike starts right up.. theres a slight popping coming from the left cylinder. I think the carbs need a cleaning.. could also be bad plugs since i switched over to standards from the irridiums that i ran with the Pamco

Back