can I put 4.00 18 tires front and rear

briansal

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting new tires for my bike 78 XS400. right now it has a 4.10 rear and a 3.00 front. they are in good shape but I have no idea how old they are. could be original yikes. I would like to put on a bigger front tire so 4.00s all around. would this be and issue? No front fender so clearance isnt an issue. I'm thinking the dunlop tt100-k70. it says its a rear tire but will that be a problem using it on the front? The bike is not being ridden very hard more for cruising.

Attachments

• bodyparts-dunlop-motorcycle-tires-retro-vintage-tt100-k70-front-black.jpg
    bodyparts-dunlop-motorcycle-tires-retro-vintage-tt100-k70-front-black.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 259
I wouldn't put a rear tire in the front if it really is a rear tire.

The conversion charts to go from inch to metric cover a range and aren't exact so it's hard to say.

I have a '78 and I can tell you that a 100/90/18 in the front (with a fender) is maxed out.

My rear is a 110/90/18 and it maxes out my swing-arm and I have no chain guard.

I am pretty sure I have heard of people putting a 120/90/18 on (which is a 4.25-4.5) a pre-1981 (narrower) swing-arm, but I think it really depends on the profile of the tire.

Sorry I can't be of more help :shrug:

Are these tires super cheap or something?

I rode an xs400 with 4" firestones on the front with no fender or fork brace and all I can say is I would never have that set up on my bike. It looks cool but even the guys at Deus who strongly promote that "look" admit handling is woeful.

Posted via Mobile

My father in law is a harley sales manager. I can order parts at cost. But it's limited to what's available for this bike. These were the vintage tires that I could find. $150 which is a deal in Canada. I will have to see what the slimmer size was for the fronts. I just really like the looks of the bigger fronts. I see them even on the new harley bobbers I wonder how they handle.

Last edited:
I rode an xs400 with 4" firestones on the front with no fender or fork brace and all I can say is I would never have that set up on my bike. It looks cool but even the guys at Deus who strongly promote that "look" admit handling is woeful.

Posted via Mobile

I wanted the look but didn't want to give up the handling so I decided against those tires. I went with the same set up bcware has.

My father in is a harley sales manager. I can order parts at cost. But it's limited to what's available for this bike. These were the vintage tires that I could find. $150 which is a deal in Canada. I will have to see what the slimmer size was for the fronts. I just really like the looks if the bigger fronts. I see them even on the new harley bobbers I wonder how they handle.

Those tires were used on the old British bikes in the 1970's. Had them on my Nortons, that's why I was looking at them.

I see them even on the new harley bobbers I wonder how they handle.

Like shit,

but honestly, if you ride a bobber/chopper you generally don't care about performance handling.

A big honking front tire is going to do the most damage.

Take a look at the pic of my bike. I have a 130/90 18 on front and 150/90 16 on rear.
There is no room to mount a front fender, or even a fork brace, but it looks good.

I kept my rear tire stock (110/90/18) and bumped the front 1 size (90/90/18 to 100/90/18). They're roughly the same size, the handling is very good, the front doesn't look tiny anymore, etc. It's a good compromise between looks and performance in my opinion.

When the front gets more massive it's going to resist your steering inputs; it won't want to turn. It will also hurt acceleration and braking a bit. When the sidewall gets too large I am not sure what will happen, but it won't be good due to the odd shape/profile that starts to occur.

I kept my rear tire stock (110/90/18) and bumped the front 1 size (90/90/18 to 100/90/18). They're roughly the same size, the handling is very good, the front doesn't look tiny anymore, etc. It's a good compromise between looks and performance in my opinion.

When the front gets more massive it's going to resist your steering inputs; it won't want to turn. It will also hurt acceleration and braking a bit. When the sidewall gets too large I am not sure what will happen, but it won't be good due to the odd shape/profile that starts to occur.

Your bike looks awesome as well. Did you paint or coat your headers. I just ordered some gaiters and clip ons off eBay. I want to powder coat the wheels before the new tires go on. And either wrap paint or ceramic coat the headers.

I used Rustoleum high heat paint 2000 degrees, Color is Copper.
I cant tell you about the handling because it doesn't run yet due to never ending ignition problems...
The main reason I did it this way was for looks and the fact that I don't plan to test the handling so much as it is mainly a stoplight to stoplight design. Oversize carbs, lower primary gear, stripped of all unnecessary weight, except for my lard ass of course.

My mac 2-1 system came with black headers. Before that I was running a 2-2 system that I painted with black header paint from the autoparts store. For barely scuffing the chrome pipes the header paint held up pretty well.

Back