can i swap carbs between models?

RichieB

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys am new to this site and have a question about the different carbs. I bought a xs400 s from a guy and the carbs are pretty rough. Also went and bought a seca/maxim from a guy who forgot to mention the engine case was busted. My question is can use the carbs from the seca/maxim on my xs400 s? Thanx for any info. Will be starting a build thread as I am starting a bobber build this winter.

Apparently the carbs are pretty similar, however, I am not sure if the centres of each intake are the same distance apart from sohc to dohc. If not, the assemblage which connects the 2 carbs would have to be modified somehow.

According to post #3 on this thread, though, it is possible - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7405

Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

Hey....
The centre's of the intakes are different...
The DOHC carb's intakes are narrower(as in centre's) from memory...
You could have a go at modifying the assembly,as Lou suggests,OR....
sell or swap the DOHC carbs for the SOHC carbs!:wink2:

Welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

I could find a home for your DOHC carbs if you decide you would like to part with them.
I think there is about 10hp difference between the SOHC and the DOHC. So the jetting would be a bit different. Weather network says crappy weather headed your way.
Pissing rain out on the left coast.

Unkle Crusty

.... The DOHC carb's intakes are narrower(as in centre's) from memory...
You could have a go at modifying the assembly ...
I thought as much. It might be worth asking Drewpy how he did it.
If the individual carbs are the same (or close), maybe it's just a matter of separating the dohc carbs from the dohc brackets and linkage, and then linking them together with the brackets and linkage from the sohc set.

Uncle Krusty. I am sure we could figure something out. They are in excellent condition. Bike only has 15000 on it. I got other parts to. The engine runs but buddy threw a chain so the lower case is done but lots of good parts.

I thought as much. It might be worth asking Drewpy how he did it.
If the individual carbs are the same (or close), maybe it's just a matter of separating the dohc carbs from the dohc brackets and linkage, and then linking them together with the brackets and linkage from the sohc set.

that's what I did. used the brackets from the sohc ,but had to weld on an extension piece for the carb butterfly.

just ensure that the butterflies are pretty much aligned as there's not much adjustment to sync them.

had to rejet, but then I had pod filters and a straight through Yoshi exhaust ;)

Back