Can Seem To Figure Snap,Crackle and Pop.Chokes on Throttle then Shutdowns at normal Temperature???

Ordo Ab Chao

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Reviving a Yamaha XJ400...Can figure out why my bike starts great,then after normal running temperature is reached I start experiencing the following:

1. Exhaust Pops,kinda Crackle and stutters while turning throttle
2. Lost/Lags in Power/Surge and doesn't want to go thru at throttle
3. Engine eventually shutdowns
4. Engine will not start again until the temperature drops down to cold.

???? ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE EXTREMELY APPRECIATED ???

WATCH VIDEO OF TECHNICAL PROBLEM VIA YOUTUBE [CLICK BELOW]

First thought carbs causing an overheat issue. Clean & Rebuild the carbs make the correct adjustments to the rich side then start the bike & continue to adjust your carbs for the best idle - midrange & transition to WOT. Then take it for a ride & see what you have. I would rather you keep your adjustments to the rich side so you don't overheat the engine & possibly score a piston or burn a valve. Second thought is what shape is your coils in?? If they're weak or they have a thermal short you'd have some of the same symptoms and eventually not run at all

Exhaust popping and crackle is caused by a very lean mixture.
Surging is caused by a lean mixture.

It is getting worse the longer the engine runs, so the problem is most likely fuel delivery. Check the gas cap, the petcock, and the in tank filter. Report back with your findings.

First thought carbs causing an overheat issue. Clean & Rebuild the carbs make the correct adjustments to the rich side then start the bike & continue to adjust your carbs for the best idle - midrange & transition to WOT. Then take it for a ride & see what you have. I would rather you keep your adjustments to the rich side so you don't overheat the engine & possibly score a piston or burn a valve. Second thought is what shape is your coils in?? If they're weak or they have a thermal short you'd have some of the same symptoms and eventually not run at all
I had the carb cleaned, inspected and adjusted;probably can still adjust more;will take your suggestion and adjust starting at the RICH side...I did uninstall my stator,rotor and rectifier and tested the items. Regulator rectifier is shot, stator burnt and rotor most like malfunction especially when the engine get to normal operation temperature. QUESTION: Do U think the stator status and rotor w/regulator rectifier having tech problems can cause the throttle to hang and lag when used?

Exhaust popping and crackle is caused by a very lean mixture.
Surging is caused by a lean mixture.

It is getting worse the longer the engine runs, so the problem is most likely fuel delivery. Check the gas cap, the petcock, and the in tank filter. Report back with your findings.
Will place that on the list to check as well...Right now I uninstalled my stator (Looks burnt) Rotor (Probably affected by the stator even though reading on meter checks out fine) and regulator rectifier is shot. Wondering if these electrical components can cause the throttle to hand/lag when throttle is turned? From what I research, it can, but not sure...?

Back