cannot gap points to spec, not possible, opposite sides firing

Zach

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am in desperate need of help on this one and would love anyone to send me their advise on what to do.

The bike I supposedly purchased (according to title) is a 78' XS400. The motor has 391cc stamped on the front of motor.

The points were sparking hard so i replaced condensers and bought new points. When I go to set the points I get the left gap set to .015 when most opened. I turn the motor over to LF and cannot get the points to close by rotating the entire plate. I go to turn the bike over and they do close but at RF, and the right points close at LF. What is going on?

Thanks!
Zach

The spark fires when they open, not close. Set the gap when it is open the widest regardless of firing position. Rotate it a couple of times to make sure it i set at it's widest point, then static time it like in the video- remember, gap first, then static time.

After you static time it, it should run pretty good. If the compression is about stock, it should be OK. If it has lost some compression, you can advance it by ear by advancing until the idle speeds up, then starts to slow, then retard it back a bit from the fastest idle speed.

I will try doing the points gap and timing again, but I feel like I have done it correctly multiple times and somehow the timing is somehow 180 degrees off and the right cylinder is firing when left is supposed to. When I was messing with it I thought maybe I should just switch the spark plug wires to fix it, but I thought I would come to you all for advise first.

if its any consolation, the grey and orange wires that feed the coils are easily crossed over. Done it lots of times as the wiring diagram doesn't really explain it. so if you feel its 180 out switch those not the HT leads!

Alright, so I figured out the problem. I always have never paid attention when a manual says compression or intake stroke, so I was timing it at the wrong stroke. This was a stupid mistake, but now if anyone else has that problem they will know!

Thanks for the input all

Alright, so I figured out the problem. I always have never paid attention when a manual says compression or intake stroke, so I was timing it at the wrong stroke. This was a stupid mistake, but now if anyone else has that problem they will know!

Thanks for the input all

your'e not the first and won't be the last, glad its sorted :thumbsup:

Back