Carb Cleaning Product and Diaphragms

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I bought this stuff to clean my carbs with, its called Barryman B12 Chemtool and you pour it in your gas. I've already taken my carbs apart multiple times and cleaned them multiple ways. I just wanted to try this to see if I missed any passages. My question is that since it sais it contains strong solvents and detergents, will it damage my diaphragms? I'm thinking it doesn't because it sais for carburetors but I just wanted to ask.

So I bought this stuff to clean my carbs with, its called Barryman B12 Chemtool and you pour it in your gas. I've already taken my carbs apart multiple times and cleaned them multiple ways. I just wanted to try this to see if I missed any passages. My question is that since it sais it contains strong solvents and detergents, will it damage my diaphragms? I'm thinking it doesn't because it sais for carburetors but I just wanted to ask.

I have your answer(s), haha :) I don't think I will be hanging out at this GoldWing forum for a few years :laugh: . . . but always opinions to be found. I wouldn't use it if you have gone to the trouble of disassembling the carbs and getting them CLEAN. Why bother using crap in your fuel tank then?
The Randakks link is interesting to read at least. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/365293-berryman-b-12-chemtool-substitute-yamaha-carb-cleaner.html

Well since I already bought it and it sais its meant to go through running carbs, I decided to throw in about ~2 ounces of it in a full tank. Ill report back with some info.

What Gaillarry said ..... SeaFoam. Its good stuff but won't take the place of a good dissassembly and thorough cleaning if thats whats really necessary. But with that being said, it does work well.

:agree: Nothing will work better that 125-150lbs of compressed air to get all the crap out of those little passages. If you can, a baking soad blasting and a good carb cleaner hose down works well to:wink2:

Last edited:
Well I guess ill try seafoam if this stuff doesn't do anything, if they don't do anything then I guess I'm chasing the wrong problem. I'm just thinking my passages aren't completely clean because when I start my bike after a couple hours sitting, it doesn't like to idle or accelerate very nicely until it warms up for a minute or 2, with a little throttle its fine, but if I go quick to mid or full throttle it bogs until it catches up eventually. But once warm the throttle is fine. I'm wondering if its the main jet size but once warm it throttles nicely. Carbs are synced and mix 3.5 turns out. I donno, I thought id just throw that in there.

... it doesn't like to idle or accelerate very nicely until it warms up for a minute or 2, with a little throttle its fine, but if I go quick to mid or full throttle it bogs until it catches up eventually. But once warm the throttle is fine...
Sounds like every pre-PCM, carbureted vehicle I have ever owned or driven. Unless it came with an absolutely perfectly configured bi-metal coil automatic choke, one was lucky if it stayed running until it was warmed up. If it ran perfect at any time before it warmed up, it wouldn't run properly once it did warm up. :shrug:
If the bike runs fine after only 2 minutes, it's better than all my carbureted cars (except the Morris 1100 with manual choke), and as good as my xs400.

Hmm, well that makes me feel better. Well my bike still has trouble idleing after its warm, I'm thinking it could be maybe dirty passages, or possibly one of my a/f mix screw o-ring has a little chip on it and they might be getting a little hard, so I'm trying the b12 stuff just to see what happens. But so its ok to bog for a little with some good throttle when you first start the bike after it sitting?

... bike still has trouble idleing after its warm ... so I'm trying the b12 stuff just to see what happens. But so its ok to bog for a little with some good throttle when you first start the bike after it sitting?
It's probably okay but also probably not ideal - and numerous folks will likely jump in and tell you that you can get close to perfection if you boil the carbs one more time. No doubt true.
I love to ride, so until I have 4 spare bikes like each of the 3 guys I met the other day, I am too chicken to take something like that apart and then be without for hours/days/weeks/months.
I would love it if my bike ran like a new car: wait ten seconds for the oil to get sloshed around, then drive & you can't tell the difference. And if I had a spare to ride while carbs boiled on the stove, I might try for perfection.

It does make sense for you to try small things to see if you can make a noticeable difference: replacing o-rings, checking for tiny air leaks in the boots, tightening, adjusting - all to the good. But if you love to ride every day and it ain't really broke, do you really want to go all-in to "fix" it before you have to put it away for a couple of weeks when that California winter hits? :wink2:

Back