Carb id

Curseduth

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone help with carb ID? Carb stamps 58L00, interwebs don't help much as I have searched for a few days already.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 292
And another peculiar thing there is not a plug on the bottom of the bowl but rather a nipple..internal measurement is 33mm. External on big size is about 49mm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 281
They are VM28s of some kind.

The nipple on the bottom is for float level or overflow, you need to take the bowl off and see how it is rigged.

The nipple is literally right under the main jet, I had to rig a hose in a180* fashion to keep fuel in the bowl. Not an overflow. I will try to find suitable metal plugs or just shove a cap on it..I think they are a vm29. Closest in the vm chart to the dimensions. They run fairly well on this 400. 2.5 slide 17 needle, forget the others as after I cleaned them the bike runs good..

29's were model specific carbs that came on production bikes usually in an array of 4. Those that you have are Mikuni aftermarket 28's based on bore size. 29s wouldn't have a screw on top ;)

29's were model specific carbs that came on production bikes usually in an array of 4. Those that you have are Mikuni aftermarket 28's based on bore size. 29s wouldn't have a screw on top ;)

Everything I can find on vm28 has a horizontal choke not a vertical choke. I have found a few aftermarket vm29s that look identical? (Not saying your wrong but I can't find an exploded parts diagram for a 28 that looks similar)

And I think the nipples I have on the bottom are the float adjustment "tool" so I will have to grab some actual plugs or just use a silicone nipple and hope it doesn't pop off.

Mikuni made them in all sorts of configurations ;)

29s all will look like this, and are true smoothbore-
Carbs%20-%20VM29%20-%20Full.JPG

Be careful what you read online, some folks just don't know what they have and make assumptions, which spreads and other folks now think the same. Hence people thinking their 28's are 29's

so I was re looking at the Mikuni vm pdf, I am not sure why I kept saying 29 as it wasn't even listed..I was looking at the 28 for the 33mm interior bore..But either way external outlet is 40mm, interior bore of 33mm. Inlet exterior of 50mm not matching anything on the chart(it was late last night). it looks and matches more of the 32 or 33s I see so plentiful on the eBay...because doesn't a 28 have an interior bore of like 26mm or something?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 275
It's a 28.
CarbDimensions.jpg

If you were to measure the smallest part of the venturi, it should be exactly 28.

These carbs were used on so many applications over the years, you'll never be too sure of what they came off of. Not to mention all the counterfeit ones floating around.

Negative..it's a 34mm.i guess I forgot I had bore gauges..smallest part of Venturi is 34 and I forgot to zero my mic..

Thanks for the help and reminder that I am an actual mechanic even tho I forget and take the easy way out as in asking for help when I have almost everything I need to help myself...sigh I feel dumb

Weird inlet and outlet sizes for 34's. Definitely came off of some production engine, as no Mikuni's AM carbs can be bought like that.

Hey if they work, all is good!

Back