Carb problem?

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody. 80 400 special. Got starter and solenoid working great. Went to start it tho and hjad to have choke out full to start. If I let go of the choke it would die. Started it left choke out full for a while. Kept on throttle, let in choke. Kept running but I would hear pop coming from rightr pipe. let off throttle, it died? Any ideas? Could it be the carbs? Tx alot hav ea great day!

Nope going to try that tommorrow. Thank you very much for the response. Have a good day!

yep sees like a carb problem to me take them apart and thuroughly clean them.Unplug all the passge ways and jets.Beware of the jets inside the venturi.Those are your starter jets and often many are mangled when trying to be removed.If they are mangled beyond the point of no return your screwed,there are no replacements.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the caution, that saves me from finding out the hard way. Have a great day! By the way, what should I use to clean them? Tx again

Can anyone tell me if it will be OK to soak the jets in brake cleaner?

You could, but they do make carb cleaner specially for that. I have no idea where you are, but in US you can buy this stuff called B12 Chemtool and use that. Works pretty good.

yep sees like a carb problem to me take them apart and thuroughly clean them.Unplug all the passge ways and jets.Beware of the jets inside the venturi.Those are your starter jets and often many are mangled when trying to be removed.If they are mangled beyond the point of no return your screwed,there are no replacements.

I couldn't figure out how to get them out after I removed the screw. So I sprayed carb cleaner in the opening. Do you think that will be alright. Tx alot, have a great day!

Looks like I missed the starter jets. Are they under the diaphragm? If so, then I didn't even look at them. How do they come out? Tx for all of your advice, hav ea great day!

Tx to everyone for all of their help. I got it running last night. Have a great day!

Back