Carb Problem

Pelts

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for not posting a lot since my arrival, I had little chance to play on my bike this summer! But then I did...And I failed...

So I need help.

At first, my bike went really well on short rides, but when I got to do more than 15-30min on a hot day, it started to go wrong. So when the bike starts running on high temp (that's my guess since it's after 15-30min), the engine stopped when I was on low rpm...Every stop/red light...

So I did a little research and found out my carb could be the problem, so I cleaned it and then put it back on thinking it would resolve my problem...Not knowing it would create other problems such as gaz leak in my air filter and by leak I mean a huge RIVER.

So...
Question 1- Why is there gaz in my air filter...
Question 2 - Really not sure cleaning my carb resolved the engine stopping problem..any ideas what would?

Thanks a bunch!

It could be just that your idle is set too low. Will it stay running if you keep twisting the throttle?

The gas leak is likely due to a stuck float. Tap the bowl a few times with the soft end of a screwdriver and see if that helps. If not, take off the bowl and make sure the float opens and closes easily. If it still leaks and you know the float is not stuck, I'd replace the float needle and seat.

Hey Thanks for the quick reply!!

Instead of going to see a mecanic first thing or try and open up my carb I'll start by just tapping the bowl a little and see whats up!

And as per the engine problem, yeah it does stay running when I keep twisting the throttle. But sometimes it seems like it gives less power than I'm giving...

There are plenty of very tiny passages in the carbs that can take some persistence to get completely clean. They could still be slightly gummed up.

So it doesn't seem to be as easy as just tapping with the back of a screwdriver (didn't work) and it looks like I'll have to open it up again.

That being said, I find really tiresome to dismount the carbs from the bike and I had a little project in mind of having my air filter replace by individuals. This would get me easier access to my carb (I think) and looks great!

So I was wondering, is it as simple as a plug and play install since it doesn't look complicated or do I have to modify my air/gas ratio or adjust something else when I do this kind of change?

It's easy to toss filters on, and yes it will give easier access for you, but that's about it. You will have to rejet/mess with the carbs. Also be warned that on CV carbs, they will never work as good as they did with the stock airbox, no matter how well you tune them with the 'pod' filters.

But if you are okay with that, just make sure you use quality filters, and I suggest keeping the stock 'h' pipe on the carb inlets.

Back