Carb setting issue

MartinMamrd

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Im tired of trying different settings now. Someone might know what would be best for me?
Situation: Xs 400 2A2 (77), 39.5mm camschaft (no 27 PS kit), carbs BS 34 with vertical pilot screw. Cleaned, no air leaks which i can find i hope.
carb settings:
Main Jet:
Pilot Jet:
Pilot Air Jet:
pilot screw 1+1/2 turns out
Stock needle at 3rd position
Float levels adjusted via Röhrli method (dunno if supercorrectly, but its not overflowing and levels are both the same).

My bike wont start with choke. Without choke it starts after several attempts and when i put choke on, it dies almost instantly. It revs quite easilly, but i think it might come back to idle more easilly so i think im running lean. Im running stock air filters and mufflers. Do you think i should setu that carb differently? Or is it just a float level problem? It was running 2 months ago with different carbs, then i put it to a service for tune-up and they had broke pilot screw inside (OMG!). Those carbs im trying to adjust are the same type, same internals but somehow....
There are so many stock setups for so many models/years and noone knows, what type my bike is as it was imported from Germany.
Anyone can give me an advice? Im trying to get this bike running for ages and im getting frustrated :)

Update:
Cleaned and sealed again, float level is like 26-27mm (it says +/- 1mm right?) .
I still cant get it running with choke on, however after several attempts i can start it without choke, with a liiiitle bit of gas. When i apply the choke afterwards, it dies.
When i ride the bike it behaves quite nicely, except that "pilot screw" area to say 3k rpm, when it drops to idle very slowly. Idle is kind of rough by the way. So its almost the same situation. Im thinking of getting a full repair kit with all those emulsion tubes, air jet and stuff, but im not sure what main jet to choose.
142.5 would be nice i guess, but im afraid of a float level. Manual says it should be set to 32mm (!) with this size. That seems too high for me. Even floats have almost no space to move vertically with this float level. It must cause leaking the fuel out of carb by itself? :)
Or should i stick to this jetting (the problem is at low rpm only) and try to buy a pilot jet only and maybe an air jet (that screw from inlet side of the carb body). Mine air jet says its 170.
What is your setting?

Last edited:
Back