carbs redone, some questions

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
so my bike wouldnt start, suprise. I checked everything, (only one plug was getting wet)pulled carbs, they were pretty dirty so i ripped them all apart and cleaned them and saw my pilot jet was clogged on the side with the dry plug :) i soaked all jets in carb cleaner and cleaned out every hole and passage way. I put them back together but i have some questions...my carbs look slightly different thank most i have seen on here, and my jet sizes are different than any ive seen too...

heres what my carbs look like
photo3-11.jpg

i put all the jets back in and everything
i dont remember one of my jet sizes but my pilot was 42.5 and this one(i believe main, it screws in here with the washer)
photo1-12.jpg

was a 155??!!!:wtf:
photo2-13.jpg

can that be right?

next im not sure "how to adjust the carb height, do i bend the small tab that the needle slides on to? or

lastly, im pretty sure these two screws on top are the air/idle mixture screws(not sure what they are called)
photo4-11.jpg

i set them to 3.5 turns out from snug

ive been searching the forums and i am still unclear on some these things, thanks so much guys!!!!

Those carbs look weird! Very similar to the ones on my '78, but the throttle cable bracket is different, yours doesn't say mikuni on the diaphragm caps, and you have plugs where the idle mixture screws go?

Stock for me is 137.5, I believe. What's funny about the 155 you're holding, is that it looks like it's been drilled out. The hole looks giant! Maybe it's just the photo, but I have every jet size available, including 155, and that looks way larger.

Is the bike stock? 155 is probably appropriate for 2-1 headers, free flowing muffler, and pod filters.

To adjust the float height you bend the center tang on the floats. The tang makes contact with or physically supports your float needle (depending on model). Use a flat bladed screw driver and be careful. Measure both sides of the floats when they are in. It is easy to distort the floats from side to side when bending the tang. Try 26mm on the floats.

Stock pilot on my '78 is also 42.5 by the way.

Those are 80-82 sohc 400 carbs or tin tops as they are also called. Those mains do look like they are a lot larger than they should be. I would put some 142.5 in there they will work with even a stock setup. I don't see the rubber pilot jet plugs in your pics make sure you have these.

I just checked my other jet size

I have a

Yes I have the plugs for the pilot jet.
So I guess I'm gonna b ordering the stock size of 142.5

I plan on tuning pod filters with stock exhaust(for awhile) so I'll get the stock main size and 1 size bigger on the main and pilot

Should I even try to start the bike with that 155 in there( it is stock )?

get the 155's new, that mains you show there has been drilled. If you are going to run pods, you'll need it!

I think ypu are getting confused with air jets and fuel jets. We are only talking fuel as air is a constant. So there will be 2 size in the carb 1 for pilot and 1 for mains. the pilot screws into the engine side of the carb and the main behind it ( trying to be visual here)

the air stuff screws in near the inlet bell of the carb!

whilst your stripped, take off each carb top and take out the diaphram. the emulsion tube should just fall out and will need cleaning of all the tiny holes along its length!.

don't forget to clear out the holes within the float bowl too!

Oh hey...yeah the 155 was outside by the bell, specifically the bottom left hole(an air jet correct?). The 135 was on the inside of the carb(under the float bowl) along with the 42.5 pilot

Lol

get the 155's new, that mains you show there has been drilled. If you are going to run pods, you'll need it!

I think ypu are getting confused with air jets and fuel jets. We are only talking fuel as air is a constant. So there will be 2 size in the carb 1 for pilot and 1 for mains. the pilot screws into the engine side of the carb and the main behind it ( trying to be visual here)

the air stuff screws in near the inlet bell of the carb!

whilst your stripped, take off each carb top and take out the diaphram. the emulsion tube should just fall out and will need cleaning of all the tiny holes along its length!.

don't forget to clear out the holes within the float bowl too!

Yeah....I think I may have gotten confused...lol

then you have a 135 mains and 42.5 pilot.

you can get a tune up kit with 3 sets of mains which seem good value, its on ebay

Back