carbs spewing fuel

doubleextramayo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Still a bit new to the site. I used the search to see if I could get an answer to my question but I couldn't seem to find anything specific.

So I picked up a 79' xs400. Started it up today for the first time after getting a new battery in.
Major issue here is I seem to have a fuel leak that is seeping out from the left air filter. Didn't seem too bad when running, but once stopped, it was running out pretty quick.

HOWEVER I need to admit some things:
1. I'm not a mechanic.
2. This is my first bike.
3. I'm kinda forgetful.
Lol so upon saying that, before I plopped in my new battery, I had noticed that I left the petcock on PRI all last night (had the battery in the bike last night but didn't have enough charge to kick over so I kept charging it overnight). Didn't think much of it, proceeded to kick the snot out of the bike until it finally turned over. Happy it started, but now I'm here at the next part of the equation.
What's my problem? Flooded engine? Or carb issue? Or even something else?

Could be a few things. Possibly the petcock, carb float or something is stuck inside the carburetor/s i.e. Jet, needle, maybe a loose jet? You might want to make sure that the Floats, actually still float too. Hope this helps

Back