carburetor rebuild parts

only

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay, going thru these BS34 carbs i have, ive got them all cleaned up and about ready to reassemble them. reaching out for some knowledge on the jets and needles. im going to either run UNI filters or velocity stacks, im trying to locate a used 2-1 pipe, and im probably going to change the mufflers.

my question is, do i use the stock pilot air jets? start with stock pilot fuel jets? main jets? needles? emulsion tubes? or is there a better starting spot for these different circuits to get it tuned well? its going to be a DD bike, no drag racing or anything.

any info or help is appreciated.

i got most of my parts from Mikesxs. cleaned the emulsion tubes, as they were completely blocked. replaced the pilot fuel jets as one was broken and the other was clogged, also bumped up one size. cleaned the fuel screen at the needle/seat. replaced fuel mix o-ring with ones from the metric o-ring kit at Harbor Freight. replaced choke dust seals and throttle seals. jetted up 2 sizes and buttoned it up.

fired up today, on two tries. idles awesome. ran it up on the street (not too fast, no front brake) and seems good. no issues at all. diaphrams were in good shape;)

success. $40 in parts, a few hours time, and this bike runs. not bad for a neglected bike i found on the side of someone's house and scored for FREE!

@only, that sounds great! Congrats on the bike and congrats on the saving$. I wonder what the pro's are on going up to sizes on the jets....

i had plans of putting pods on and getting different mufflers, thats why i chose the 2 up. it runs great, though, in stock form. havent had enough street time with it to do a plug chop. hell, i havent even set anything yet, bench sync'd the carbs, set the mix screws to 3.5 out, and shoved them in.

When you change headers and mufflers expect to go up a lot more in main jet size. Even people with open headers and pods are using 1 size up on the pilot, so that won't need to change. I am sorting out my mains right now, but I am quite lean at 3 sizes up with a tiny free-flowing muffler. Tonight I threw in 5 sizes up, but I can't test until the morning; too loud!

Back