carburetours diaphrams

apmarler

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 76 yamaha 360 rebuilt the carbs after sitting for years runs at idle but starts to miss after awhile i took the air boxes off and noticed that when u rev it up the slides barley flutter they wont pull up, do the air boxes have to be on for them to work correctly or am i missing something. they fill there sealed tight and holding? any help would be great

Check to see if the diaphragms have any holes in or cracks in them. Also you can check to see if they are making a good seal by lifting the slide and then cover the venturi hole. If the slide fall fast there is a leak. If it holds or falls very slow it's good.

Attachments

• DSC02876.jpg
    DSC02876.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 165
Check to see if the slide spins in the rubber. If so this will also cause a leak. Have you synced the carbs with a manometer?

Keep in mind that the CV piston won't move far if there is no load on the engine, so messing with the throttle in the garage might not show you exactly what the carb would be doing while driving.

There are a few good guides on these forums for setting up the carbs, check those out and go step by step, use new plugs so you can see if you fixed the idle mixture.

My guess is there is something assembled wrong in them or there are other issues with the motor/ignition. What size jets do you have in them? Stock is 17.5 pilot and 135 main. The manual can be found in the classified section for free. Post a few pics of the bike so we can see what you are working with. Have you set the valves, check the timing, cleaned gaped points, done a compression test? Lot of thing to do on a bike that sat a while. Syncing the carbs with a manometer should be done after all the other thing have been checked.

Attachments

• DSC02888.jpg
    DSC02888.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC02889.jpg
    DSC02889.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 151
Bikr has 140 psi on compression will check the jets tonight to see the size. It has a 2 into 1 exhaust. I'll also check needle setting.

From time to time, we have some really bored people, and they put neat things together, like this next link, From Willem, and his "a bunch of How to's in a thread."
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10715

other wise, our standard line is suppose to be, find the manual, on top of the Garage, (sticky'ed so it will allways be number 2, on the top of the list, and above that is the Tech section, which is where Willem's thread should be, to help out people.

An excellent carb guide, http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf

Finally found the problem. But carb floats had pin holes and were full of gas. Got it fixed but now my problem is no high rpm pull at about 5000 rpm the bike has a 2-1 exhaust with stock jets so I think it's leaning out. I raised the needle one clip and made it better raised it another and it was to much. Any suggestions am I on the right track? I was thinking a jet size up? Or is something else wrong

Back