Chain and sprockets

nico

78 XS400-2E
Reaction score
I am in need of new chain and sprockets but when I look up stock size I find different sizes. This site lists 16-39 but MikesXS only goes to 38 and on other sites I think I've read 37 is stock rear. Any help on stock sizes. Or good sprocket sizes to go with

I'm interested in this as well, im 6"3" and weigh 115kg so i need a sprocket set up that is all about acceleration since this bike will very rarely see 60mph

I ended up putting 16/37 on my 78. I also got a "stock" 96 link chain that was supposed to fit stock sprockets but it was WAY too tight. Had to get a 98 link chain to replace it. As far as acceleration I really have nothing to compare it to on the xs however. Hopefully those that have tried different sizes will chime in.

I've been looking for a 39T rear sprocket for my '81. Is there a difference between sprockets on a spoke vs. mag. wheel? Also what are some of your opinions on lowering the gearing by two teeth, as mine came with a 37T? I am 270 lbs. and have a hard time keeping my bike above 72-75 MPH unless I'm going down a hill.

My friends have rockets and make me look like I'm standing still. How much will lower gearing on my 400 affect MPG?

Any suggestions on manufacturers or PN's? I have been trying to deal with Motorcycle Superstore lately because of ebates and a 10% off code, but thier site doesn't really direct me to anything specific for this bike.:banghead:

I am 6'3" 240#. Mine came with 16/39 and I went to a 37 to lower the RPM at cruise speed. The 16/39 had plenty of acceleration....for a 400cc bike with a guy my size. I just bought a sprocket from eBay listed for an XS400.

so if i went a 15/39 for acceleration or a 14/39?

Sorry but I can't really help you with that as this is the only bike I have owned so I can't really compare it to anything. The front sprocket is only $10-$20 so I would try the 15 first and see what you think. The rear sprocket isn't costly either and should only set you back $30-$40.

that is a small front sprocket...more wear and tear on the chain, but if you're not planning on riding much doesn't really matter. You'll be shifting more gears, but it'll be a fun little redlight racer.

I ordered my 17T from Amazon. I had shipping problems with there first option. So I dont recommend them, unless you go to their website, PowerSportSuperstore had good customer support, but via amazon they had there hands tied in how they can help me. So check out their website also. I ended picking the buy new option on the amazon page, and Amazon had it for less than a dollar difference

for the 78 http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/6202 shows you the list available for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVU3XC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

other sources for 17T sprocket, after checking out the JT Sprockets web site, you google this for any tooth your looking for.
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=JT+Sprockets+JTF424.17

I went with the 17T sprocket, and do not regret it. I did not feel the difference between the 5 gear, and the 6 gear. Now when I go into 6 gear, it drops the RPM's a good 400 rpms, and that is really great!

Back