Chain Lube

KC-AceCafe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I ripped my chain cover off, thought it would look better without it, which it does. I looked at the underside of the cover and it was caked with grease.

I understand that the chain is suppose to be greased, but is there a cleaner way that's not so sloppy? If I'm going to show the chain I'd like it to look cleaner.

I remember seeing a spray on chain lube, I wonder if that's better?

Your input as always, is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

run a rag around the chain, hand turning the rear wheel NOT using the engine (i have seen pictures of this aftermath) use Kerosine.

spray on chainlube inside the rollers and run another rag to clean the oil from the outside of the chain!

Nice tips! Thanks drewpy! I couldn't imagine why anyone would do this with the bike running.....:|

I use DuPont Multi-Use Lubricant. It is a dry lubricant that does not cake up or attract dirt. Of course, you have to clean the chain first. Available at any Lowes.

DUPONT-D00110101_300.jpg

I, too, use an aerosol chain lube. One specifically designed for motorcycle chains. It sprays on wet, but that's just the "carrier". The carrier evaporates pretty quickly, leaving behind the dry lubricant.

Infinitely cleaner than plain oil or grease. More effective, too, since it doesn't just fling off.

On the other hand, O-ring chains are not supposed to need ANY external lubricant. Just keep 'em clean. The lubricant is contained INTERNAL to the O-rings...

Nice advice guys, I appreciate it! I'll definitely pop out and get some teflon lube, I think canadian tire sells teflon chain lube that goes on wet and dries.....dry.

OH MY EFFIN GOD! As stupid as I am I would NEVER think of doing something so stupid.Holy sh!t that poor sumb!tch has to deal with that the rest of his life! Damn come on people...metal,torque, combustion?!! Come on!!

I've always used simple green to clean my chains, seems to work pretty well. Im not sure how green it actually is but it sure makes me feel good haha.

I've cleaned mine in a bucket of diesel fuel[my universal solvent],soaked it a day or so,then hung it up over the bucket to drip dry.Then I rolled it up,and soaked it in ATF and then hung it up again to drip,then rubbed it with rags and put it back on,sprayed with chain lube. This way,it gets all the grit,grease and grime off,and gets soaked with lube all the way to the rollers,pins etc. lha

I've cleaned mine in a bucket of diesel fuel[my universal solvent],soaked it a day or so,then hung it up over the bucket to drip dry.Then I rolled it up,and soaked it in ATF and then hung it up again to drip,then rubbed it with rags and put it back on,sprayed with chain lube. This way,it gets all the grit,grease and grime off,and gets soaked with lube all the way to the rollers,pins etc. lha

one thing that always bugged me, if you take the chain off all the time, your supposed to change the split link!

I've never heard anyone do it yet and heard of lots of chains breaking.:shrug:

I don't do the chain cleaning often[yearly],and the links are cheap. lha I do spray the chain every ride or so!

Last edited:
I use DuPont Multi-Use Lubricant. It is a dry lubricant that does not cake up or attract dirt. Of course, you have to clean the chain first. Available at any Lowes.

DUPONT-D00110101_300.jpg

I went up to Lowes today to try and find this stuff and they had no idea what I was talking about. Where would it be?

I opt to use the gear oil + often cleaning method. 80w90 gear oil(cheap as hell and easy) and then I just wipe it down after I apply it. I clean it every now and then with kerosene. Then every month or so I pop off the cover and clean it. It works.

Grew up with a guy missing a fingertip from that sort of thing. Have always respected moving engine parts since.

Accidents are tragic, obviously. Sad that kid paid with his fingertips.

I have been using motor oil per the original owner's manual (applying it with an old paint brush while the bike is on the stand) after each long ride and while the chain is warm. Works fine, but what a pain.
I happened to read the label on a can of Lithium Grease. It says it's good for sprockets and chains. They don't say just slow moving sprockets and chains, but don't specify vehicle drives either. Has anybody tried it?

Attachments

• CRC-wlg.jpg
    CRC-wlg.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 256
Back