chain oil

wrench234

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wondering what you guys thought about using chainsaw bar and chain oil on motorcycle chain seems like it will work good and since i have a gallon of it i put it on my chain. its thick and sticky i have never actually used any actuall chain oil before usually just some motor oil on the kids bike chains so im not sure if its the same type of oil or not anyway just wondering

My xs400 has a small leak on the countershaft sprocket sea. So i use motor oil on my chain; it gets lubed every time i turn it on. However on my other bikes i use BelRay chain lube.

I read somewhere (not sure if it was on this forum) that chain-saw oil had some unpleasant consequences when used on a bike chain. I can't recall for sure what, but I remember them making the point that on a chain saw, fresh oil is continually fed onto the chain.
Just guessing, but it may be that on a chain saw, contaminants are continually flung off as fresh oil is added. On a bike chain, it may simply attract and keep detritus in the chain's wiggly bits.
If I recall the exact reasons, or stumble on the article again, I will post it up.

PS - I've used 10W-30 motor-oil all season (5,000+ miles) - applying it each day with a 3/4" paintbrush, at the end of a ride when the chain is hot.

Not sure about the chain bar oil but I used cycle chain oil and heavy oil for years. Problem was, I got sick of the back rim being oily and also my pants leg. It was bad when I was running a chain guard but now without one it's a real mess. Thanks to someone on here I started using Dupont teflon multi-use lube. Not sure how the chain will wear but it sure is nice to have a clean wheel.

not sure if ill continue using it bike sat for 27 years chain actually not bad was sitting in garage staring at it with my son and thought hey i got some chainsaw oil lets oil the chain once its running and rideable may change it

If you don't want to make enemies a good rule of thumb is to not argue about anything to do with politics, religion, or chain lubrication methods. :D
But honestly I see no point in wondering, when you can just get the right lube for the job. I personally use maxima chain wax,- as it is very fling resistant. Basically any lube in a spray makes the job easy, and prevents excess application, which will end up on you tire etc.

If you don't want to make enemies a good rule of thumb is to not argue about anything to do with politics, religion, or chain lubrication methods. :D ...
You said it. Very true. :boxing:
It's actually possible to spend more than the cost of a chain on stuff to add 50% to its life. A bad thing if you need to pinch pennies, a good thing if you value avoiding the job of replacing it at all costs. Different strokes.
not sure if ill continue using it bike sat for 27 years chain actually not bad was sitting in garage staring at it with my son and thought hey i got some chainsaw oil lets oil the chain once its running and rideable may change it
The important thing is that you put something on it right away. Even WD40 would be better than nothing at all. :thumbsup:
I have since read that a number of people do use chainsaw bar oil and it works fine and those who use it like it. Those who are grossed out by "spider webbing" hate it and those who ride in dusty or sandy areas also don't like it since it stays sticky.
I think I may switch to that Dupont stuff next year. It won't attract sand, my wheel will be clean and it will be easier than the motor oil in the marmalade jar lid and the paintbrush routine.

Let's just be glad that we have ordinary, cheap chains so we don't have to obsess about whether the cleaning solvents or the lubricants or the evaporating volatiles are damaging our precious "O" rings on our expensive chains. :rolleyes:

Back