Chain Tightening or Replacement?

MotorPsycho

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you tell when it's time to replace your chain? I have a 1984 XS400, and I've been trying to get it up and running. Today when I had it in the air and finally running I shifted through the gears and noticed the chain was flapping about big time, and there is even some indication that it has hit the tire on occasion. Just got the bike, so I am having to refurbish and fix all the things the previous owner didn't fix.

The bike has over 10,000 miles on it, and I don't know if the previous owner ever changed it, much less tightened it.

Can you continuously tighten them until you run out of space on the tensioner? Or is there some signs I should look for to spot a worn-out chain? Should I replace anything else along with the chain? Front or rear sprockets?:shrug:

Adjust the chain slack as per manual. Do not over tighten it! Then try to pull chain off the rear sprocket at the rear most point. If you can pull the chain clear of the teeth, it is worn out. The sprocket teeth should not look like saw teeth.

If you need to buy a new chain, spend the money to get a good quality chain, o-ring as a minimum. They will require less adjusting and should last longer if lubricated regularly, minimum every 300 miles. I lube every day before riding and more often in the rain. Sprockets can last 2 chains if the chain is looked after, but they are cheap enough that replacing them with the chain shouldn't be a hardship, and will allow the chain to last longer.

You wont be able to find one spot in particular on a chain thats worn out,every link stretches causing slack to form.As your chain wear it also wears a pattern in your sprockets.If you cant afford a new chain and sprockets removing a link can be done if only for a temporary basis.If the chain is that worn though its liable to brake at anytime!:yikes:

Looks like I have a new issue.

First update, the tensioner seems to be fairly far out, and doesn't have much room left to tighten the chain. I'm going to tighten it some, according to the specs in the book.

Next issue. The previous owner apparently replaced the rear tire with one that is too wide, and it is SUPER CLOSE to the chain. I mean, you probably couldn't slide ten sheets of paper in between the tire and chain. Looks like it may have even rubbed some. Seriously, people? Wow.

The issues seem to keep piling up.

I gotta a feeling that this XS is gonna be on the market soon. Shameful how the old girl was mistreated, and I don't have the skill and funds to fix everything wrong with it. Damn...

just get a 530 chain, these bikes don't need O rings and can foul due to it being slightly wider.

If you can't take any more slack out of the chain I suggest its well past its sell by date.

why get rid of a bike that the consumables have worn out? Its like selling your car as it had run out of fuel because it costs $$ to fill

just get a 530 chain, these bikes don't need O rings and can foul due to it being slightly wider.

If you can't take any more slack out of the chain I suggest its well past its sell by date.

why get rid of a bike that the consumables have worn out? Its like selling your car as it had run out of fuel because it costs $$ to fill

Thanks for the tip on the chain. Regarding getting rid of it, I'm just feeling like I'm in over my head, and don't have the skill level or money to pay someone else to fix everything that's wrong with it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid bike, and I like it. I think it could be something even better, and I would LOVE to have the skills and knowledge to fix it, but I don't. Even with reading on here daily and reading through the manual many, many times, I still don't have a clue what could be wrong with it.

I've done all the things recommended on here for a bike that's been sitting for awhile, and it still does the same thing. Won't run on its own. Fires up with starting fluid, and then runs while you constantly rev it. Once you let it go, it's gone. And then the only way you can restart it is to squirt more starting fluid in it. I only did that a few times, as I've heard that spraying that in them is not good for them.

Trust me, I WANT it to run so I can actually get some seat time, but I'm stuck.:shrug:

Is this the 530 chain you are referring to?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/56-0045.html

Is this the 530 chain you are referring to?

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/56-0045.html

any will do really, If you get a heavy duty one with a good make you can't go wrong.

I have an Ebay notifications for 530 chain and buy it cheap as it may be listed for an obscure bike when in fact they are all the same, just in different lengths

your bike does sound like its not got enough fuel, could be a weak mix/air leak.

MotorPsycho I dig the hell out of your handle name.:thumbsup:Anyways at the end of the day you have to decide wether or not you want to keep and fix this bike or sell it.If you sell it and and buy another bike at some point its going to brake down or need something done to it.If you dont think you have the skills to fix the things on your bike then ask questions,thats why this site is here.I have to say mechanics takes appititude if you dont have it then its going to be not so easy to pick up on.Me on the other hand I have strong skill and a mechanical appitude so most of the things that go wrong on our bikes or cars I can fix them.Thats where people that are here like myself can help share our knowlege to help someone like you who doesnt have alot of mechanical knowlege.I thought about selling my bike cause I have a love hate relationship with it.When shes running good and I can ride it I love her when shes acting up and I have to turn a wrench on her I hate her.Anyone if they apply theirselves can learn to fix the things that go wrong on our bikes rather its something that breaks or fixing a po mistake and screwing the bike up.If you dont have alot of $ that save up get 1 part or 2 cheap parts at a time and start putting it back together how you like.All bikes are going to cost $ to maintain or you can buy a new one then pay the montly payment.I hope this helps ya:)

I agree with scorpio. I've had times where I thought I wanted to get rid of it, but those times are usually when the bike wasn't working anymore, which was always due to inexperience on my part. For example, I completely gunked up my inline fuel filter in about 3 months because I never took the effort to actually clean the rusty fuel tank.

But when I started on my XS in January of this year, I didn't know anything about bikes. I have a pedal bike (1 man power) which I fix things on, but that's about it. Didn't have many tools, don't even have a garage. But I managed to set my DOHC valve clearance, sync my carbs, clean my carbs, put on a filter, change the headlights, fix some electrical issues, lube everything, change brake pads, brake shoes, chain, sprockets, etc. etc. I do it all myself, and I knew nothing. All thanks to this site, I might add.

But I remember I didn't know where to start when I first got my bike. I had very dirty carbs, at least that's what the guys here told me, and I barely knew where the carbs were on the bike. But I went for it one day when I had some time on my hands, and managed to get them off and somewhat clean. Turned out later I didn't clean them well enough, but that's a common story..

So my advice: don't let the manual or the forum scare you too much, it's really not that hard. Just use your common sense with everything (don't use a 3-foot adjustable wrench to overtighten tiny bolts for example). The right tools can really make a job easy or impossible.

Back