Changing the mufflers, is rejetting always necessary

Jasons81XS400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I want to change the mufflers on my XS. Im tossing up just putting a different muffler on, or maybe doing a straight pipe with a baffle in it. Not looking for anything other than I want this thing louder. Is a rejet always necessary? Im not really a carb guy, but I wouldn't really think you would need to since your not really changing air flow too much.

Not always but usually. The stock pipes are pretty restrictive. Most aftermarket pipes flow alot more than stock...

possibly depends how much backpressure... every bike is differnt. best bet is to put the new mufflers on with a set of new plugs ....ride for about 50-100 miles (or less) check the plug color.....black is too rich, white is to lean, greyish brown is where u want to be

i made custom tips with welded in baffles made of preferated 1/8 stainless worked great loud as hell no flames out the back and still on stock jets but i do have pods on it but kept the rubber tee boot that went to the airbox on the carbs with the pods at the end with the crankcase breather attached

possibly depends how much backpressure... every bike is differnt. best bet is to put the new mufflers on with a set of new plugs ....ride for about 50-100 miles (or less) check the plug color.....black is too rich, white is to lean, greyish brown is where u want to be

you wouldn't be able to just turn up the mixture on it while keeping the original jets in place? and that is the only way to find out how lean or rich your running?

you could lower the float height 1mm which will richen the range.

done it with the tracker, but have decided to up a pilot jet instead 45 to 50!

Back