Charging System issues

Alexpdx

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new ad this is my first post.
I have an 81 xs400. It generates no charge so when it's running it dies after about ten miles. I (regretfully) took it to a shop that told me the reg/rec were shot. They replaced with 2 in 1 unit marked tmr1003bu. After this they decide stator is shot too. I replaced full alternator unit with
Two different used units, all three units test out of spec but with the same readings and none of them fix the charging problem. At this point I'm trying To check the wiring of the whole system but having trouble lining up the new reg/rec with the wiring diagram I have. Currently blowing the main fuse immediately upon turning the ignition on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even a link to an old thread would help. Thanks

Posted via Mobile

Posted via Mobile

Update: 3 white wires read 1.7ohms and two green read 4.1ohms. Whites are the same reading as both the other units I found, and I saw a post earlier that said someone was functioning with 1.9. The greens are at spec but I can't figure out if I need a new unit (not used?) or if I'm making a rookie mistake somewhere along the line (very possible).

not sure you have the right rec/reg use the search function to find the threads on this as its been done in some depth.

Back