Charging System

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have the 1980 XS4 Special that I have been making a ton of threads about. Thank you all for your help. Got the starter switch wires hardwired and avoided the connector. Bike ran good. Tried to start it this AM, wouldn't. Got it kickstarted. Charged batt, it just started with the starter. Anyway, used meter and got 14.7 volts from batt at 5000 RPMs. I know the book says it shuld be 3, but I've heard these old bikes don"t always get the exact "book" readings. Just wondering what everyone thought about it. Thanks alot, have a great weekend! Sorry about your kids Drewpy. I voted for 'em.

So I took it for a 6 mi rde. Got home, batt read 12.8. Good. Pushed starter button, fired up. Went for 2 mi, sat at some friends house. Went out kick started right up. Went for another 8, came home. Waited about 5 min. Pushed starter button acted like the battery was dead, but read 12.6. Kick started again though. Do you think maybe the soddering points are not perfect on the hardwire? Thanks alot!

No, that actually sounds like another issue now. Maybe if you have ignition points you should check them and your valves. The bike uses a lot of amps (generosity of volts) with the starter button. So kickstart it til it's solved.

Drewcifer

No, that actually sounds like another issue now. Maybe if you have ignition points you should check them and your valves. The bike uses a lot of amps (generosity of volts) with the starter button. So kickstart it til it's solved.

Drewcifer

Thanks for your help. I am going to kick start it. I don't have points, I have a TCI. Just replaced it only to discover that wasn't the problem. What would the valves cause electrically? I did have to put 2 different starters in it last yr. Could this one be going bad too? Seems like when it gets real hot it doesnt' want to turn over with the button. Tx again, have a great weekend!

Short version: Leap to bottom.

Long Version:
Zonk, one of the good things about my bike losing it's flasher at one point is in order to fix it, I took apart a lot of the bike and traced a lot of the wiring. When I was done I knew what the systems on my bike were for and how they worked. It was exciting to feel the newly gained knowledge could help others.

But when I was going through it I wanted to just SELL the fucking bike that would not start. Because I was being humbled by the learning curve and the necessary failure to gain expertise...

SO in your case, if you have the chance, I'd go over the service in the factory manual.

I'd do one a day or two a day if you have the time.

Check the valve clearances first...

Next, I'd have a look INSIDE your charging system because it sounds like something is shorted out or dying. I found a MELTED Ducati stator a day ago and I'd have sworn before that NOTHING could melt a stator, but upon removal, there it was...a big melted portion of wire segment.

My older bro got me into bikes, and he also suggested I go cover to cover through the manual and do each service...

So in this case...

I don't know what's wrong....it caused 2 starters to fail???

Short version: Leap to bottom.

Long Version:
Zonk, one of the good things about my bike losing it's flasher at one point is in order to fix it, I took apart a lot of the bike and traced a lot of the wiring. When I was done I knew what the systems on my bike were for and how they worked. It was exciting to feel the newly gained knowledge could help others.

But when I was going through it I wanted to just SELL the fucking bike that would not start. Because I was being humbled by the learning curve and the necessary failure to gain expertise...

SO in your case, if you have the chance, I'd go over the service in the factory manual.

I'd do one a day or two a day if you have the time.

Check the valve clearances first...

Next, I'd have a look INSIDE your charging system because it sounds like something is shorted out or dying. I found a MELTED Ducati stator a day ago and I'd have sworn before that NOTHING could melt a stator, but upon removal, there it was...a big melted portion of wire segment.

My older bro got me into bikes, and he also suggested I go cover to cover through the manual and do each service...

So in this case...

I don't know what's wrong....it caused 2 starters to fail???

Well, my neighbor got them off of ebay. So its hard to say if they were good or not. This last one is from Wisconsin Cycle Salvage. Could it still be the stator if the batter reads those numbers? Thanks alot for your time, Have a great day!

So I took it for a 6 mi rde. Got home, batt read 12.8. Good. Pushed starter button, fired up. Went for 2 mi, sat at some friends house. Went out kick started right up. Went for another 8, came home. Waited about 5 min. Pushed starter button acted like the battery was dead, but read 12.6. Kick started again though. Do you think maybe the soddering points are not perfect on the hardwire? Thanks alot!

poss the connections for the solinoid are loose or the grounds need cleaning.

also if you have access to a known good battery, try that. I had a battery which charged and everything, but it could not hold the amps. would even drive the electronic ignition after a while.

poss the connections for the solinoid are loose or the grounds need cleaning.

also if you have access to a known good battery, try that. I had a battery which charged and everything, but it could not hold the amps. would even drive the electronic ignition after a while.

Thanks for the response. Wasit you that said the starter can get messed up if you are not getting a spark? I'M wondering if all those times using it without a spark did damage. Thanks again, and have a great day!

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd share..
I replaced the reg and rectifier with a combined unit form mikes xs (was meant for a 650). Wouldn't charge what so ever . After some wiring diagram studying I realized running power to the reg/rec wasn't enough , I had to run battery voltage on the brown wire (for the voltage regulator) now its 13.3V at idle and 14.2 at 3000 rpm .

Does the regulator/rectifier actually have a green and/or brown wire?
If you're running full voltage to the field coil 100% of the time you could eventually do some damage.

It does yes . I've rewired my entire bike and according to the diagram I found , that brown wire is hooked into one of the main power circuits for the bike ie: lights , horn , ect. From what I've read the regulator "regulates" voltage through the ground circuit (green wire ) Basically I overlooked supplying power on that circuit . I put about 120km on this weekend and everything's working fine but I will keep you posted.

Just wanted to double check as it would be possible to energize the field coil in a way that'd appear to work at first but eventually burn out.
Our bike's voltage regulators don't "regulate" voltage in the same sense that modern bikes do, they control the field coil. In a way they're more efficient.

Sounds like you've got it.

Back