Charging too well?? Help!

Telecasterjoey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Good morning lads,

Been having troubles with my charging system now that I've been putting the kms on the bike.

I've been using this battery http://www.amazon.ca/UPG-UB1250-Sealed-Lead-Batteries/dp/B001DL9IBC

After a good ride at highway speed it seems to fry the battery. I pulled into work this morning and the bike died. This is the second time it has happened. When i take the battery out and test it I get no reading I think in fried the battery internally.

When I test the voltage with the bike running at idle it reads about 13.5, from 2500 rpm to 6000 it reads 14.5 v seems to run a constant 14.5v at higher rpms, now if I'm constantly sending 14.5 v to the batt am I overcharging it?

I've re wired my bike just like drewpys, based on the stock diagram. Tested all components reg, rec, field coil stator wires etc. they all seem to check out.

My bikes an 82 heritage special stripped right down tracker style.

Any suggestions, what do u guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 277
The battery has to have a charge rate of 14.5-15v to work. A lot of those type of batteries don't.

Like this.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!oIFGv8I08ZnBR2wr)!1vw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!oIFGv8I08ZnBR2wr)!1vw~~60_57.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 257
Thanks for the responses guys, when I was looking for the battery I made sure it's good for these kinds of voltages. the battery is rated for 14.5v-14.9v, should I look for one that goes a bit higher?
Also. Just to clear things up, does the voltage regulator switch tthe stator on and off to keep the voltage the same or does it limit the voltage coming through? Like a light switch or like a volume knob lol I'm a simple man.

Thanks again

Attachments

• 20140520_191915.jpg
    20140520_191915.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 245
From what I have read it acts like a switch stopping the flow of power at a certain voltage. As for the battery what volts do you get when you test it with the bike off. These batteries can fail. Make sure you have it in a ventilated area on the bike and with no heat near it. I know drewpy had some issues with frying batteries for a while and even an ignition system. I am not sure if it was a wiring problem or not:shrug: I have been using a 1.3ah battery for three years without and problems, but I also use the stock wiring on the bike.

Back