Checking for oil flow

xs400newb

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a barebones build with no OSU, so I can't check for oil pressure.

On my 1980 XS400 if I remove one of the big nuts covering the rocker arms should oil be splashing around when the bike is running?

My top end is really really noisy after a rebuild and I'm trying to figure out why.

Best,
Adam

You adjusted the valves?

Yes, oil should splash around but I have never actually removed a cap while the bike is running. The cam lobes have little oil "troughs" beneath them; as they rotate they pass through this pool of oil. Additional fresh oil should also be flowing to the top end; I'd assume it passively drains down the center of the engine where the cam chain travels.

By "big nut" you mean the 4 valve inspection caps?

Did you rebuild the entire engine or just the top end?

Yes, valves are adjusted. Before I do anything major I am going to adjust them again.

And yes, by 'big nut' I mean the valve inspection nuts.

I only did a top end rebuild, so I doubt I messed anything up in regards to the oil pump or passageways.

I'll adjust the valves sometime this week and report back.

It'd be really great if someone could respond who has actually removed one of those nuts while the bike was running.

Best,
Adam

Posted via Mobile

The DOHC engines have an "oil gallery bolt" which allows you to confirm oil pressure and flow to the top end. Not sure if the SOHC engines have anything similar.
Anyway, here is the blurb that applies to the DOHC from the service manual:

Attachments

• Oil Pressure Bolt.JPG
    Oil Pressure Bolt.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 247
i suppose you could loosen the chrome end nuts which retain the rocker shafts.

but if you've only done the top end I doubt you have done anything to the galleries unless you are forgetting to tell us something else?

It'd be really great if someone could respond who has actually removed one of those nuts while the bike was running.

I doubt you'll find anyone that has; I am going to predict a huge mess.

Even if someone else has I don't think this is a definitive way to check oil pressure. The troughs under the cam lobes will hold residual oil and the cam chain itself probably flings a decent amount around too. With all of this going on you really can't be absolutely certain that any oil coming out of the inspection cap is actually traveling through the gallery.

The only real interaction you have with the gallery is inserting a dowel and a rubber o-ring during a top end rebuild.

The engine may be noisier due to the valve adjustment; valves get tighter over time and therefore quieter. Once you set the gap correctly there will probably be more chatter. Are you absolutely certain the noise you're hearing is not normal? "Noisier" is pretty subjective.

Great points BCware,

I'm confident the noise I am hearing is not normal. I've worked on other XS400s in the past so I'm familiar with what a 'normal' is. If I can find the means, I'll post a youtube video.

Let me first check the valve clearances and if the noise persists I'll re-check the oil flow issue.

Best,
Adam

As far as removeing the rocker plug while running It'll be messy and may not be all that successful for a diagnosis. I have done this on a Chevy V8 after a rebuild for diagnosis and adjustment. Wear a wet suit!!! Mine was a bad rocker arm and bent push rod also the adjustment was called out while engine was hot & running.

Hey everyone,

Went to adjust the valves today. The bike is vertical on a jack (no centerstand) and oil poured out of the alternator cover as I removed it. I was under the impression that oil would not come out. Whats the deal? Should I just lean the bike on its side a bit to adjust the valves?

Best,
Adam

Oil and alternators don't get along. There shouldn't be any oil in there. Time to tear into it and find out what is wrong. And be sure to get new brushes as they are ruined.

yes there is oil in there. normally a bit does come out and it pisses out if its on the side stand (don't ask)

that's why there is a gasket on the cover. how else is the starter chain to get any oil?

Not to add a question to another thread but after a top end rebuild should you add oil to those "troughs" before putting it back together or will they fill once start up happens?

When you put it back together you should have use some sort of assembly lube for the cam. I would kick the motor over for a bit to get oil to where it need to be. Also you can remove the valve adjustment cover and fill the cam baths that way with it in the bike. SOHC bikes that is.

I always make sure of one thing when I rebuild or assemble an engine. I am very generous with coating everything with oil. I have one of those old school oil squirter canisters that I use. I will dedicate a whole quart of oil just to make sure everything inside the engine is pre-lubed before I add oil the the crankcase.

Not to state the obvious, but what weight oil are you using? What did you do in regards to a "top end" rebuild? did you remove the jug? timing chain? pistons?

One thing I wasnt too fond of about the top end of the SOHC was how theres no seperate caps for the camshaft. It all just clamps down from the cover. I get the idea that its a simplified setup but im just used to removing a valve cover first.

Back