Chopper build - intro

Jessechop

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello. I have built a bunch of bikes over the past 15 years, this will be my first XS400 build.

The bike is a 1981 that was desitned to be a "rat" type café racer wanna be around 2005. It was rode that summer and parked behind a shed. In the spring of 2013 a good friend ended up with it in a trade. He planned on hanging it from a tree at his shop. After looking the bike all over I noticed the low miles -4200 and the fact it still kicked over. I told him to hold up and I brought it in the shop. Fresh gas, new battery, oil change, and plugs and it fired right up. Ran it around the block and man, this old clunker works good. Threw some tires on it and rode it a good part of the summer of 2013.

I even land speed raced the bike with the Loring Timing Association and set a record in the process :bike:. About August of 2013 I parked the bike in the back of the shed and there it sat. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. In between builds (of sorts) and was wondering what to work on next. I was wandering around the net and found Voodoo Vintage selling a hard tail, that I actually liked the looks off. Hmm, I wonder if the old XS still runs.....20 minutes later I was bombing around the back roads by my house :D

So, in the bike came. Hardtail was ordered and a hand full of other parts. Parts should be here for the weekend..here we go!

Attachments

• xs1.jpg
    xs1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
Man, you can't say you laid down a record and not tell us what it is! Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your build.

LOL, it was a very soft record. 94.215 mph at the mile and 94.673 mph at the mile and a half. The bike has more in it. It was my first pass on the bike, in the wrong gear to boot! A unfortunate chain of events following that pass ended the racing for that day before I could try and run it again. I think the bike will run a little over 100 mph consistently

Welcome to the forum:) The bike looks to be an 81. If the build date on the neck says 80 it's a 81. First three letters of the vin should say 4R5.

hey glad you made it! land speed racing and chopper in the same build thread? ill be watching this one! single backbones and axed alien tanks are sweet too btw

This bikes land speed days are probably behind it...well maybe :) Biggest land speed effort is currently focused on the Buell XB build. Waiting on motor parts to come back from machining, thus the start of the this bike. I cant have idle hands, bad things will happen!

Waiting on the hardtail (supposed to be delivered yesterday, never showed) so I decided to strip the old Unity S6 spotlight and change the bulb so I could use it as my headlight. Not bad for a $20 investment

Hard tail is on, motor mounts are all done and seat is mounted. I learned real quick forwards are out of the question, which I am ok with. Saves me some $$$$

Tank is mounted, coils are mounted along with the fender, seat and sissy bar. Still might do a little more to the sissy bar as I am not overly excited about its outcome. Playing the waiting game on parts now.

Ive been looking at this voodoo vintage pro builders kit for a month now. the only reason I haven't ordered was because the site says it has a 20mm axle slot and ours is 17... Was the site incorrect? Nice build so far btw.

No, they come 20mm however they will make a set of bushings to use 17mm. I have a extra set if you wanted to buy them. Stock axle is too short, I ended up using a ninja 250 axle

Back