Monowakari

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,

Changed my oil and adjusted valve clearances yesterday, now valves all within spec.

Took a video before right cylinder intake valve was set properly. Didnt like the sound so went back over and checked all clearances.
I just did a poor job on one of them (was .003 out! on an intake valve (0.008) but I fixed that post video.) Also getting some backfire from the right exhaust and the spark plugs fouled. Everything is going wrong haha :banghead:

Recently adjusting idle mixture screw to 3.5 turns out and toyed with the sync screw for equal pressure coming out of the exhaust. Ended up turning the screws in to 2.5 turns because of fouling but I dont think it is gas fouling it might be oil? Ugh...Help. Rebuilding the carbs soon. I just want to ride!

Anyway, went to start the bike and now I'm getting nothing, so I'm not sure what to do. I can't even tell if the sound is gone after readjusting the one valve. Onto charging the battery somehow I guess; it's measuring 11.5-11.8 volts when ignition is off... I think turning it over too many times might have caused some flooding and the battery to drain.

Also my kickstart doesnt ever seem to get the bike going, usually no issues from the electric starter with the proper procedure. Will know more after seeing inside the carbs.

Just got tired of wrenching today and have no other form of transportation.

Wanted to ask if this oil is okay - Castrol Grand Prix 20W-50 4-stroke motorcyle oil - for a '78 xs400?

Ride near sea level up to 30 degree days but visit Kelowna where it gets to 40 degrees easily.

Also Compression on the right was 170psi and 158psi on the left. Seem normal? Well within the range in the clymer manual but it says normal is around 147psi.

Cheers boys

Back